Part 2: Tallgrassland Campaign - Battle of the Riverside City | →

Chapter 9

Marching Preparation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon arriving at the Swordsmith City for several days, Bonaparte was tirelessly active.

In the mornings, he would check on the condition of the soldiers, inspecting those who were anxious in unfamiliar territory to ensure their morale remained high, and then attend meetings to discuss preparations for the next battle, negotiating how to procure the supplies needed by the French army. During the day, he would also meet with influential figures in the city, responding to invitations from Cloumille, negotiating the procurement of necessary supplies for the French army, and attending meetings preparing for the next battle. In the evenings, he would attend social gatherings of influential figures to network, or otherwise stay up late poring over the extensive reports brought by Berthier, giving detailed instructions down to the minutest details while continuing to work, even scolding Eugène, who served as his guard, for growing pale from fatigue.

Bonaparte's most vexing concerns were gunpowder and weapons. These were the source of power for the French army, and therefore for Bonaparte himself, without which they could not function. And weapons such as muskets and cannons that utilize them also needed to be procured, as they would eventually wear out with use.

One day, Bonaparte gathered men from various guilds, including the Swordsmith City's guild, the Armorers' Guild, and even the Crossbow Guild, at his mansion to examine whether they could manufacture muskets (Charleville) and cannons similar to the ones he had. Normally, when conversing with people in this world, Cloumille would act as an interpreter, but it was impractical for the queen to always serve as an interpreter alongside him, so Bonaparte was provided with individuals who possessed the ability to communicate by touch, similar to Cloumille.

"The mechanism resembles that of a crossbow. The metal tube is difficult to make, but it's not impossible."

"How many can you produce in a week?"

"Two or three per month would be good. After all, this is our first time making such weapons. We need to decide which guild will produce them and deliver them to you, and then train craftsmen to make them. Each weapon you request will be made with care, one by one."

"Utterly unacceptable. Back in Paris, we produce a hundred a day. What we seek is not craftsmanship. We want mass-produced weapons. Uniform tools. In large quantities!"

Bonaparte placed an order with the guildsmen and firmly grasped the hand of the interpreter. The young interpreter winced at the strength of his grip as he conveyed Bonaparte's words to the guildsmen.

"That's an absurd request. We take pride in our work. Weapons used in the sacred battles of warriors must have the soul of craftsmen imbued in them. Besides, we don't have machining equipment. Making weapons is different from making dishes."

A similar conversation ensued regarding cannons, and the outlook was even bleaker than for guns.

"What do you mean you can't make them right away!?"

"We know how to make cannons and firearms. But without tools, it's impossible. And without manpower, it's hopeless," Conté, a French scholar summoned by Bonaparte, replied with a cheerful smile.

"We must have brought some tools from France. And these folks can surely make bells, and haven't you seen their metal armor? They should have the technology to make cannons."

"Your Excellency, making cannons is not that simple. Our army's cannons are standardized and lightweight, with high precision, thanks to Gribeauval's reforms. The key lies in the method of forming the barrel, which switched from pouring bronze into molds to drilling and shaping with drills."