Chapter 51 - Do What's Necessary

On the outskirts of the King's Landing in Tallgrassland, there is an unusually rugged rock face. In the past, it was used as a quarry for high-quality stone. The magnificent city walls that protect the King's Landing were built using stone from this quarry. The ease of obtaining building materials was one of the reasons why Cloumille's father, Gulbas, had the city built here.

This place is now used to punish criminals. On this particular day, a large crowd had gathered in a place that was usually devoid of human presence. One-third of the crowd was French, and the rest were residents from the King's Landing.

Criminals were about to be executed.

The condemned and the executioner stood in the center of a giant crescent, surrounded by spectators on the crescent-shaped stands. Wooden seats have been set up for a better view, and there are people selling drinks and snacks. The atmosphere is like that of a play about to begin.

The sky is overcast. The sun is blocked out, and a strong wind blows, making one feel as if their body heat is being stripped away.

"It's perfect weather for doing something dishonorable."

Bonaparte, dressed in a gray coat that reflected the color of the gloomy clouds, said to his chief of staff, Berthier, who sat next to him. Berthier nodded slightly to his superior's words.

Today, eight French soldiers are to be executed here. One of them is a battalion commander in charge of over a hundred men.

With over 30.000 men in the French army, it was inevitable that crimes would occur. Despite the prohibition orders and severe punishments issued by Bonaparte and the generals, various crimes still occurred. Murder, robbery, and assault on women were like shadows that clung to the giant that is the army. The soldiers to be punished here today are those who have committed at least two of these three crimes. When Bonaparte heard that they had been sentenced to death by a military tribunal, he immediately ordered the execution and came to supervise it himself.

Behind the chair where Bonaparte sits are the division commanders who command several thousand soldiers. Among them were Kléber, Desaix, Bon, and Reynier, as well as Dumas, who commands the cavalry.

"Even a battalion commander, huh? He's not showing any mercy."

"Embezzlement of supplies, swindling of merchants, murder to silence witnesses, and to top it off, covering up the crimes of his subordinates. The rest of them are caught red-handed in the act of assaulting women. Even you would have them shot if you were the commander."

"Of course."

Kléber, folding his arms, spat out the words. Violence against unarmed civilians, without the will to fight, is not something that can be tolerated. Especially against women and children. If that is allowed, then what is the difference between an army and a band of robbers?

Dumas joined them. "Did you hear what that battalion commander said in court? 'Isn't Your Excellency doing similar things in Italy using us?'"

"That's a masterpiece. Apparently, the Italian army that he (Bonaparte) used to command did whatever they wanted in Italy."

"They imposed huge occupation taxes on the cities, extorted indemnities and art treasures, and burned down villages that revolted... shame on him. I wondered if that was what the army of the people's friend, the Republic, was supposed to do."

"You didn't participate, did you, Dumas? You have nothing to be ashamed of."

"I repeatedly objected to the Supreme Commander, but he ignored me... What's strange is that Supreme Commander Bonaparte has started to crack down on such crimes since he came to this world. It's a hundred times better than not doing it, but what kind of change of heart is this?"