Chapter 39 - Moving Forward

Twelve messengers were dispatched from the besieged Aurault Palace to ask for help. It was deemed dangerous to send them all out at once, so they were dispatched at staggered intervals. One of the messengers, the son of the prominent merchant Neven, Niliven, used a secret passage to exit the palace just as the sun was fully risen and beginning its descent.

Emerging through the damp passage, the boy found himself in the midst of a cowshed.

"So this is where it leads..."

The young man checked the letter hidden in the inner pocket of his clothes. The pocket was sewn shut, appearing empty at a glance. He had to deliver this letter safely to Queen Cloumille and her friend Bonaparte in the King's Landing. There was another item concealed within. It was a French-made pistol given to him by Professor Conté before leaving the palace. There was only one bullet, but it would serve as the ultimate weapon in times of need. Furthermore, having the gun would prove Niliven's legitimacy as a true messenger to the French troops stationed in the King's Landing.

Exiting the cowshed, he first headed towards his own home, one of the grandest mansions in Riverside City. Armed soldiers patrolled key points in the city, and gunshots and shouts could be heard in the distance. Fear of the unrest kept the streets relatively deserted.

Soldiers from the rebel army approached from the other end of the street. One soldier on horseback and eight infantrymen. Something was tied to the horse and being dragged along. It was a human. Judging by the attire, they were likely French soldiers. Niliven felt sweat drenching his whole body. If he were caught and the letter found, he would meet the same fate, being killed and dragged around. He thought he was prepared for what he was about to do, but facing it head-on made his heart race uncontrollably.

After a moment, when his heart settled, Niliven hurried to his mansion and then to the stable.

"Young master, you've returned. Thank goodness. Have you heard the riot outside? The soldiers are rumoring about attacking the palace. I've been terribly worried!"

The man approaching was Hoart, a middle-aged servant responsible for the horses. He was slightly overweight, friendly, and very skilled with horses.

"Hoart, bring out my horse and my outer garments."

"What's going on, young master? It's dangerous to go outside now."

"I need to go to the King's Landing. Please."

"Aah, I cannot allow it. Master will be worried sick. The streets are filled with soldiers on edge. If you have any errands, please let the servants take care of them."

"No, I have to do this. My father always says that as a merchant, once you've taken on a task, you must fulfill it with honor. Lives are at stake, including the fate of this household. So let me go."

"...Very well. I understand. You're a wise young man. I believe you'll return safely. I'll inform the master. He'll be upset, but..."

"Thank you. Thank you for always listening to my whims. I have prepared a letter explaining the situation for my father. Please give it to him."

"I understand."

After a while, Hoart returned with the horse.

"Alright. Let's go!"

Niliven kicked the horse's belly and dashed out of the mansion.

In addition to the main gate, Riverside City had several city gates through which residents and merchants entered and exited. Each gate was managed by guards hired by the city's artisan guilds and private soldiers of the nobles.