Chapter 55 - Legion of Honor

Part 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After concluding his meeting with Neven and others, Bonaparte proceeded to meet with Generals Rampon and Lannes, who were commanding the conscript army. They were discussing the delayed battle reports to strategize improvements for the future.

"The soldiers recruited in Riverside City initially numbered around ten thousand. However, due to desertions during the campaign and casualties in battle, we currently have only about five thousand," General Rampon, in charge of the corps, reported with a grim expression. "It may sound like an excuse, but it's the commanding officers, such as non-commissioned officers and officers, who are responsible for controlling deserters. However, until yesterday, it was impossible to assign such roles to ordinary civilians, and the number of French army officers was entirely not enough."

Bonaparte listened to the report, sitting back in his chair with his arms and legs crossed.

"How did they perform in battle?"

"They were mostly a rabble. Lacking training, equipment, and commanders. There was no problem with light cavalry harassment, but they couldn't withstand the heavy cavalry charges. It's nothing short of a miracle that the hill didn't collapse in the previous battle."

"Even with a man of your caliber in command?" Bonaparte muttered, glancing over the report.

Rampon had been under Bonaparte's command since his expedition to Italy, demonstrating calm leadership and persistent combativeness. Bonaparte entrusted him with these hastily gathered conscripts due to his track record.

The defeat on the hillside was an unexpected development for Bonaparte. Though he never showed it on the surface, he had believed that the advantageous terrain and a combination of infantry and musketeers in tight formation could adequately withstand any assault. Victory was akin to walking on thin ice, and it was not guaranteed to be grasped in the next battle.

"They lack the patriotism and unity to stand their ground on the battlefield, unlike French soldiers. They don't see each other as 'comrades in arms' but merely as 'people next to them,' and they don't trust the commanders—they're strangers. This makes them unable to confront the fear of cavalry. French soldiers can counter cavalry not just because of good weapons but because they trust their commanders and comrades. It's a matter of the heart."

"I agree," Lannes concurred.

"But it's not all bad. While the infantry formations were unreliable, the musketeers performed admirably. Even after the cavalry broke our ranks, they rallied around the flags and resisted. They have their merits."

"What do you think accounts for the difference between the infantry and musketeer units?"

"It's a difference in the quality of soldiers. We recruited anyone who could wield a spear into the infantry. But for the musketeers, we selected individuals who could at least read and write for the sake of firearm operation. Those who can read and write usually possess property and knowledge, and they're motivated. Moreover, they have a sense of being a 'special group armed with guns.' That's the difference."

Bonaparte rested his chin on his right hand. "The conscripts are proving to be useful. As the front line expands, we'll need more manpower. Without replenishing the French soldiers, we have no choice but to use these people from this world."

Rampon and Lannes nodded in agreement.

"What is needed to turn them into effective fighting force?"

"First and foremost, adequate training. Then, education for the non-commissioned officers who supervise the soldiers. Next, sufficient equipment. Many of the wounded are from arrow wounds, so armor to protect against arrows would be effective. Also, firearms. Not the hand cannons we currently have, but muskets in sufficient numbers. And above all, giving them a sense of purpose on the battlefield."