Chapter 53 - In Mine Name

"This is amazing."

As Murat, who was escorting a large group of wagons carrying over two hundred wagons that had departed from Riverside City, caught sight of the King's Landing, he hummed in admiration.

Tents were lined up surrounding the walls of the capital. Even during the siege, there were tents with French soldiers, but they were incomparable to this. Dyed in vibrant colors of red, blue, yellow, and purple, adorned with lavish embroidery, they displayed wealth and authority.

Nomadic tribes traversed vast grassland areas, which make up much of Tallgrassland, accompanied by livestock such as sheep and horses. These were the tents of their leaders. On the west side of the Saore River, meaning half of Tallgrassland, the chiefs had gathered in the King's Landing. Not only those who had been allies of Cloumille but also those who had previously been indecisive had all gathered, now that the capital had been reclaimed, pitching their camps on the outskirts. Their numbers reached into the thousands.

"Did everyone come to see this guy die?"

Murat directed his gaze towards one of the carriages advancing along the road. It was made of iron bars, with a design that allowed the contents to be visible from the outside. Inside, wearing handcuffs, was none other than Count Sarpamad himself, who had rebelled against Cloumille in Riverside City, and who had been brought along with strict security along with the gunpowder.

"It's good that nothing happened on the way," said Bessières, the commander of Bonaparte's escort, who joined the escort along the way.

"It must be thanks to the widespread fame of my valor," Murat said with a serious expression.

"Nevertheless, what is this smell? I didn't notice it when leaving the city, but it stinks horribly here."

"Thousands of corpses are in the process of being buried a few kilometers ahead on the Coronation Hill, and the population of the city has surged with French soldiers. The feces and urine that were flowing during the siege have spread to the outskirts. That must be the smell."

"To think I didn't notice being in a place like this, like a cesspool."

"I've been here throughout the siege... my nose must have gotten used to it without me realizing."

"Argh, how disgusting. Don't the people of the capital say anything?"

"Everyone's used to it. You get used to it. To everything."

Bonaparte and Cloumille were in the antechamber leading to the grand hall of the palace, known as the House of Statues. Various lords from different regions had already gathered in the grand hall. Among them was Count Termalthal, who held significant influence in the western regions of Riverside City and Tallgrassland.

"In the presence of the lords, I hereby pronounce exile upon the rebellious Count Sarpamad. I have informed the lords beforehand, and there will be no objections to my decision," Cloumille said, gripping Bonaparte's hand with a tense expression. It seemed more like she was reassuring herself than explaining to Bonaparte.

"You'll handle it well."

Cloumille's tense face relaxed a little at that remark.

"What exactly does 'exile' entail?"

"It means the most severe punishment, banishment from this world. The limbs are shattered, and the individual is thrown into the grasslands."

"A fitting end for a traitor. So that's what 'exile' means?"

"...No. In this world, humans become spirits after death and are welcomed by the spirits to become a part of them, protecting their descendants. However, those subjected to this punishment cannot become spirits and will have their souls consumed by evil spirits. This punishment is to exile the soul," Cloumille explained, her expression unusually tense, showing a stiffer face than even on the battlefield.