Chapter 28 - Knight versus Cavalryman

I am about to interject a description of the soldier types, etc., after all this time.

- Nagagutsu Kumage Bōshi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The vanguard of the army, consisting of a long procession of infantry, cannons, wagons loaded with supplies, and civilians, is preceded by cavalry rushing through the path.

Their duty is to ensure the safety of the route, prevent the main forces from being ambushed by the enemy, ascertain the enemy's positions, and gather intelligence on their movements. Just as they attempt to gather intelligence, so too does the enemy, often deploying cavalry units to interfere and conceal their own movements. In battle, they may receive orders from Bonaparte to charge into the enemy lines or pursue fleeing enemy units and break them apart.

Cavalry conducting reconnaissance missions prioritize swift action and are not primarily concerned with engaging and defeating enemy forces. They are relatively lightly equipped, riding agile horses, and are referred to as light cavalry. In France, they were also known as chasseurs. Conversely, heavy cavalry, wearing armor and riding larger horses, charge into enemy formations on the battlefield, using the force of their horses and strikes from above to crush the enemy.

About ten light cavalrymen of the French army were nearing a bridge over a tributary of the Saole River. The road was well-maintained, with sparse trees along the river, providing good visibility. To the right of the path, the river stretched out, while to the left, there were sporadic golden wheat fields, lush green meadows, and the wide expanse of the sky. Riding through this landscape, the breeze was refreshing, easing the tension felt by the soldiers leading the entire army.

"We've advanced about five kilometers from the main force, but there's no sign of the enemy."

"Perhaps our advance was too fast for them to have time to react."

Captain Thomas Berte, leading this unit, conversed with his adjutant as they moved. As the adjutant noted, they had been separated from the main force for a while now without encountering any signs of the enemy. Occasionally, one or two riders followed them at a distance, seemingly observing, but they were unarmed and not wearing armor, resembling civilians. While this complete lack of resistance was somewhat eerie, since the mission was progressing smoothly, there was no choice but to proceed cautiously without letting their guard down.

Further ahead, about two kilometers away, they spotted a massive gray rock sitting by the side of the road, with four cavalrymen loitering nearby. Captain Berte squinted his eyes; he had naturally good eyesight. They were dressed in earth-colored garments with bright crimson trimmings, lacking helmets or any metallic shine. Like them, the enemy seemed to be light cavalry. One held a spear of about two to three meters in length, while the rest carried bows and seemed clearly aware of their presence, appearing to await their approach.

"Finally showing themselves, Captain."

The idyllic tourist-like atmosphere that had momentarily enveloped the unit dissipated, replaced by a surge of adrenaline coursing through their bodies. It was the moment of battle.

"They seem eager too. Alright, one of you, go back and inform the rear... Auguste, it's you."

"U-understood, Captain!"

The soldier named Auguste, though disappointed at not being able to participate in the upcoming battle, didn't utter another word. Instead, he simply turned his horse around and galloped back the way they came. Even with the odds at nine to four in their favor, it was still a battle to be reckoned with.