Chapter 46 - Main Street

The French soldiers who entered the King's Landing were assigned living quarters according to their respective units. To accommodate tens of thousands of men, every available space with walls and roofs was provided. Barracks, of course, were allocated, as well as vacant houses, mansions deserted by fleeing nobles, parts of the king's palace, and even inhabited civilian houses, as the residents of the King's Landing found themselves astonished and fearful of foreign-speaking men armed with weapons, they reluctantly rented out rooms.

"Thank you for your hospitality. We, friends of the queen, Gulbas, comrades, acquaintances, guests, understand manners..."

Vigo, an old soldier with a mustache, along with the young soldier Jacques, and Wafcarel, a girl recruited from Riverside City, were allocated a civilian house off the main street. The elderly couple who suddenly found themselves hosting three uninvited guests listened anxiously to Vigo's broken Gulbese, as he consulted a notebook.

Armed men, especially those who had recently been attacking their own city, were not a welcome sight. They could only hope fervently that the storm would pass without incident.

"It's alright, these people won't do anything. Thank you for providing a nice room!"

Led into a room furnished with a simple table, chairs, and a bed with straw mattresses inside a wooden frame, Wafcarel thanked the elderly couple in place of the two Frenchmen who were struggling with the language barrier. The couple exchanged glances at the sight of such a child associating with foreign soldiers but showed a slight smile knowing they could communicate.

"This is heaven!"

Jacques exclaimed as he dropped his baggage in a corner of the room, leaned his gun against the wall, and jumped onto the straw-filled bed. Wafcarel followed suit, leaping onto the straw. The smell of dry grass filled their lungs, bringing a sense of peace. The scent of straw was familiar even to the French.

"Compared to camping outdoors, having a roof and walls here is definitely heaven. Make sure to behave courteously to the old couple. Don't even think about trying to steal any 'souvenirs'..."

"I know. Hey, let's go check out the street. We have permission, right?"

"I'll pass. I want to rest while I can sleep on a bed. Knowing our commander, he might suddenly decide to leave here and chase after the enemy again tomorrow..."

"Before we're thrown out into another empty plain, let's enjoy the city. Let's go, Wafcarel."

With that, Jacques got up and began to prepare himself, and Wafcarel swiftly rose like a whirlwind.

"Make sure to be back before sunset," Vigo said, moving a chair to sit by the sunlit window.

"........."

"What's wrong? Aren't you going?"

"Monsieur Vigo. Could you lend me some money? I've run out. I haven't received my salary yet since entering the city..."

"Bah..."

Vigo took out a small pouch of gold from his pocket and handed over a silver coin. It was a thin piece, barely thicker than a leaf, of Gulbese silver coin they received upon entering Riverside City. It was said to represent a day's wage for an average laborer, hence being called "daily silver" or "day laborer's silver."

"Thank you!"

"Thanks! We'll buy something and be back soon."

With a smile, Jacques accepted the money and, like a whirlwind, rushed out with Wafcarel.

Both of them are still at an age to be excited about exploring the city. Vigo thought they were still too young to be stabbed with swords or pierced with arrows.