Chapter 54 - Wrapped Value

The day after Count Sarpamad's execution, the sky over the King's Landing was blue, and a dry wind blew through the streets. The air against the skin was becoming colder, and the expressions of those engaged in water-related tasks were literally beginning to freeze.

Although Bonaparte had his residence in the palace, he conducted most of his business in the mansion of a nobleman close to the palace, where most of the administrative work had been seized. Avoiding meeting with anyone and issuing instructions in the palace where the queen resided was a matter of authority and etiquette.

Today's visitors were the wealthy merchant Neven and his son Niliven, who supported Bonaparte's sources of funding. Additionally, there was Bourrienne, a Frenchman responsible for the military's finances and supplies in Riverside City, and the inventor, Conté.

"Nabulione! Long time no see."

As soon as Bonaparte appeared in the reception room, Bourrienne stood up from his chair, spreading his arms and smiling broadly, addressing Bonaparte by his Corsican nickname, Nabulione.

Bonaparte responded with a stern expression, "Bourrienne, don't get too familiar in front of others."

"Tsk. You act all high and mighty even though we've been friends since elementary school. You're a cold one to your friends. Understood, Supreme Commander Excellency!"

"Think about why I've appointed you to handle supplies."

"Well, because I'm a competent administrator..."

You? Competent? Bonaparte glared up at Bourrienne, who was taller than him.

"If you can do an average job, that's enough for you. What I expect from you is loyalty. That's all. You're an old friend, Bourrienne."

"Of course."

Bonaparte's expectations from his rear-line administrators were not for exceptional abilities. Simply to report accurately, not to engage in corruption using their authority, and to deliver supplies properly to the frontline troops. That's all. Supply officers often had many "perks" in terms of authority. There were plenty of people who colluded with merchants to smuggle goods or manipulated numbers to line their pockets.

"I executed a battalion commander for corruption recently. If you do the same, you won't be exempt."

"Come on, I know. You wouldn't do anything harsh to your friends."

"........."

"Alright, alright. I'll dedicate myself sincerely and honestly to my duties."

"Good."

As Bonaparte took his seat, he called out to Neven. Neven's son, Niliven, quietly reached out his hand, which Bonaparte took. Like Cloumille, Niliven had the ability to convey the intentions of humans he touched through the power of spirits.

"Lord Bonaparte. It's been a while. Congratulations on the capture of the King's Landing."

"I'm grateful to Sir Neven. I found it strange that you brought your son along, is he an interpreter?"

"Yes. Not only that, considering that Your Excellency's sphere of activity will expand in the future, I intend to have my son serve as a liaison with you as my proxy. He should start learning about the world soon. Ideally, I should go in person, but..."

"It's not unreasonable for a major merchant. I believe in your son's bravery and intelligence."

Praised, Niliven blushed slightly.

"Sir Neven, may I discuss our business here first?"

Conté interjected in between. He spoke fluent Gulbese.