Part 4: Tallgrassland Campaign - Battle of the King's Landing | →

Chapter 26

Show on Map

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After announcing the start of the new campaign to the soldiers, Bonaparte returned to the Aurault Palace with Cloumille and promptly began a strategy meeting. This was to determine the future course of action and communicate it to the nobles.

Joining Bonaparte and Cloumille at this strategy meeting were Berthier, Abydod, and other nobles allied with the queen. Each took a seat on intricately carved wooden chairs adorned with depictions of various animals. Bonaparte gently stroked the small eagle's beak depicted on the armrest of his chair.

"Now that the troops led by Bonaparte have converged, we have sufficient strength. It is time to advance, reclaim the lost territories, and sweep away Dahad's forces from this country," spoke Queen Cloumille, her burning eyes filled with hope.

As Bonaparte listened to the interpreter translate Cloumille's words, he sank into a sea of contemplation. For her, this meeting was not about making decisions. It was about conveying what she had already decided in her mind to others and seeking confirmation.

"We will march along the great highway stretching from this Riverside City towards the capital," Cloumille said, pointing at the map spread out on the table. Bonaparte followed her gracefully extended finger with his eyes, shifting his gaze to the indicated map.

Rather than a practical map, it resembled a painting, perhaps crafted by a skilled artist. In the center of the parchment lay the beautiful cityscape of Riverside City, with lush forests, noble huntsmen chasing animals, farmers sowing seeds, and shepherds herding livestock depicted. To its west, warriors were depicted thrusting their swords into the ground.

Presumably, it indicated Swordsmith City. Beyond that point, there were only numerous trees and a large river. The village where Cloumille first took Bonaparte didn't seem to be marked on the map. To the east of Riverside City, beyond the highway, loomed the outline of an even larger city with towering walls and what seemed to be a grand palace-like structure. Many people were depicted there. That was likely the King's Landing.

Above the cityscape of the King's Landing, a giant man wearing splendid red armor and holding a massive axe in his right hand was depicted alongside a fair-haired girl. They were probably Cloumille's father, Gulbas, and Cloumille herself. The scene showed the giant man passing a key in his left hand to the girl, presumably handing over the keys of the city gate, symbolizing the transfer of authority to her. Surrounding them were several small villages, and further to the east, men wielding many swords were depicted. Would that be Axeland beyond the King's Landing?

Looking at it this way, Tallgrassland appeared to be a relatively new territory, gradually expanding as people migrated from Axeland. This map wasn't just a map; it narrated the history of this country.

...However, such things held little significance for Bonaparte. No matter how exquisitely detailed and beautiful the painting was, it didn't matter to him. Scholars might view it as a valuable historical artifact for understanding the art and customs of this country and would want to bring it back to museums, but it wasn't his concern.

The map she needed was something like Cassini's map. The map produced by François Cassini in France used the orthographic projection method. That's what Bonaparte desired. He needed maps that would help with the movement and deployment of his army: the positions of rivers, the width and condition of roads, accurate distances between cities, the locations of forests, the elevation differences of hills... Those were the kinds of maps that would be useful for military maneuvers.