Chapter 14

Cain's POV

"Shit."

I could feel my heart beating faster, looking over to Ava, then the bed.

"YOU NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE AVA."

The look in her eyes almost brought me to tears, I was panicking. I can't see her get hurt. I can't let her fall into the hands of him.

"Cain I'm not leaving you-"

I pulled the bed out from against the wall, revealing a secret hatch, pulling it open.

"You aren't leaving me. I'm holding them off while you get a head start. This will take you to the nearby hidden base. I should've taken us there to begin with.. Not even Jack knows about it."

"I refuse to leave you alone-"

"AVA I'LL BE FUCKING DAMNED IF YOU GET HURT. I HAVE NOT A DAMN THING TO LIVE FOR, SO GET YOUR ASS OUT OF HERE."

She was scared for me... I could see it. My health is the least of my worries right now. She hasn't been feeling good this week anyways. I can't risk her getting injured.

She ran towards her weapons, and with tears in her eyes she climbed down the hatch, closing it, allowing me to push the bed back over it.

I grabbed as much gear as I could, grabbing my gun and walking towards the entrance.

"Alright fuckers. If you want me so bad... You got me."

______________

Ava's POV

(Please listen to this song while reading the rest of the chapter...)

My head feels like it's pounding... Or maybe it's the sound of the guns...

"Fuck."

My voice was starting to crack as I couldn't hold back my tears. I was stumbling as I walked in the muggy tunnel, dust and dirt being kicked up with every step as I could barely think straight.

I had to cover my mouth and nose with my hand, just to filter as much air as I could.

"Cain please be ok..."

I didn't understand... I haven't felt this kind of emotion in a long time.
I have to keep going for him though.. He'll be ok, right?

"Think about it Ava... How safe do you feel in his arms?"

"How much do you love him. He makes you feel warm and fuzzy. This world is scary, isn't it? It's... So scary. I should-"

No.

He said no Ava.

"I need him."

No you don't...

"Cain... Cain..."

I don't want to feel like I did when my... Mom.

The surroundings were getting darker. I was feeling alone.. I was missing him... I was missing my mama... I was missing everything I had. I can't stand it. I can't take it anymore.

"Mama please help me... Someone... PLEASE HELP ME."

I CAN'T TAKE THIS. I NEED HIM. I NEED- I NEED HIM!

I punched the wall, a crack sound as my wrist broke.

"FUCK!"

Wincing in pain, looking at the blood, I ripped a part of my shirt and wrapped it around my hand, sighing and placing my head against the wall.

How can another person affect someone this way.. That isn't family.

Wouldn't it be nice if he was family though....?

I couldn't go back. He told me not to... He told me....

Fuck it.

I turned back around, running as fast as I could to where I came from. The sounds of guns were gone, it was silence. I was scared to see who had won... I could have only hoped it was Cain.

Step. Step. Step. STEP.

"GOTTA KEEP GOING... I CAN'T LOSE HIM TOO..."

_____________

Cain's POV

"What's that's sound...."

I laid on the floor, the battle was exhausting... I took a bullet to the shoulder and stomach... And I was pouring blood. I could feel the life leaving my body... Yet the only thing I was thinking about was her. Ava Verl.

The way she smiles, the way she messes with her hair, her childish attitude and the way she stands up to my shenanigans. She doesn't know anything about my past.... And yet... She loves me.

I think I love her too... I can swear I hear her voice... Along with...

"The hatch opening?"

"CAIN!"

Ava...? No.. I told her to go...

"FUCK YOU'RE OK! I'M NEVER LEAVING YOU."

"Ava..." My voice was faint... I was glad to hear her though.

"You have to work with me, we gotta get you to the base before backup arrives... You think you can do it?"

"Ava...."

Anything for Ava....

"Yes."

~~~~~~~~

🥺 *sniffle*
Does anyone have a tissue?