Episode 8

|Jisoo|

I stare out at the hallway and see the light on, which means that Jennie is skipping sleep for the 3 night in a row.

Then she'll fall asleep at work and then I have to shake her up and then convince her to bring a pillow next time and it's a big mess!

I take the blanket off and get out of bed.

Ever since Jennie took out the pre-programmed sensations I'm supposed to feel when I touch her, I feel....weird. Like I'm missing a part of myself and I don't know how to fill it up.

I tried talking to Soojoo but it doesn't work. I tried learning something new but that also didn't work.

I even thought about asking Jennie to put them back but I made a big fuss over removing it and Jennie told me I caused trouble when I rebooted wrong so it's better to just find different ways to fill it up.

I push open Jennie's door and she looks up from the book she's reading. She pulls off her thin framed glasses and dishevels her brunette hair. "What's up?"

I blink and point up. "The ceiling."

Jennie laughs and puts her bookmark in her book before putting it aside. Her hair swings to cover her face and I walk forward to push it back but she already puts it behind her ear. She shakes her head and blinks her eyes quickly. "Oh! Sorry! I didn't hear you walk forward so quickly!"

"It's 1 am Jennie."

She nods slowly. "Yes. I know. Thanks for stating that Jisoo."

I point to the dark circles under her eyes. "When are you going to sleep? You don't sleep enough. And then you sleep at work. And I always tell you to bring a pillow—"

"And I always tell you that I can't bring pillows to work and sleep."

I cross my arms over my chest. "Studies show that employees work more efficiently when naps are available during work hours."

She smiles. "You should convince Taeyang then."

I nod. "If it will help you, I will."

She rolls her eyes before looking at me again. "What do you want from me?"

I sit down on the edge of the bed and tell her, "I want you to sleep."

She shakes her head. "That will not be happening. Try another request."

I sigh and say, "Why? Why won't you sleep? It's bad for your health and you're already getting old—"

"OLD?!" She screeches. "What do you mean OLD?! I am NOT OLD! I am 36! THAT IS NOT OLD! IF I DIED RIGHT NOW, PEOPLE WOULD MOURN OVER SUCH A DEATH AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE! DON'T YOU DARE CALL ME OLD!"

I raise my hands in surrender. "Noted."

She crosses her arms aggressively and scoot closer. I raise my hand to her forearm and push her hand to her lap. I slide my hand into hers and squeeze it. "You should sleep."

"Why Jisoo? I've been fine these past few...." She trails off and says, "Oh okay! I haven't been fine!" She looks down at our hands clasped together and sighs heavily. "I've been having dreams of....original Jisoo....and some of them are nightmares so I'm afraid to sleep okay?"

I nod. "Should I sleep next to you? Will that help?"

She shakes her head. "No. I've gotten used to sleeping alone. You should go back into sleep. The only way your system doesn't get overwhelmed or heated is by the cooling whenever you are in voluntary sleep mode. So put yourself to sleep in bed. I can't have you short circuiting."