Episode 3

|Jennie|

I don't think I've ever been more nervous in my life.

I am going to see my family, my ex-friends and everyone I left behind 15 years ago.

It's going to be so awkward! I'm an introvert and I hate meeting people that I haven't spoken to in a long time!

It's so fucking hard and I'm panicking and I don't know what to do!

"Jennie?" Jisoo asks beside me in the taxi.

We arrived in Florida at 9am and we are now currently on the way to meet my parents after a long fucking flight.

"Yeah?" I say as I rub my sweaty hand on my jeans. Then I cover my face in my hands. "I'm so fucking nervous! I can't believe I decided to do this!" I pull hands away. "Let's go back!"

I lean forward to signal the driver but Jisoo holds me back against the seat with a hand on my shoulder. "Jennie calm down. Everything's going to be okay."

"No it's not! My parents are horrible people! They're homophobic and they—"

"That all doesn't matter."

"I think it matters a great deal with the current situation Jisoo!" I shout and lift up her left hand.

Jisoo sighs and pulls her hand from my grip before bringing it between both of hers and holding it tightly in her lap. "Jennie. You need to stay calm."

"Jisoo, respectfully, no. My parents are literal military sergeants. If I wasn't good at schoolwork, then they definitely would've just kept me at home," I say seriously as I take a deep breath.

"Did you ever think that if they hated you so much then they wouldn't be the people to see you when you came?" Jisoo asks.

That stops my panic and I look at her. "Wait....that makes a lot of sense."

Jisoo smiles and my eyes drift down to her wedding ring. The beautiful one that I bought her and it makes me feel warm inside and my stomach flip.

I swallow and look straight ahead as the taxi driver asks, "Are you sure this is the right address?"

I nod. "Yes. I'm Jennie Kim."

He looks into the rear view mirror with wide eyes. "Oh my god! You....You came back?!"

I squeeze Jisoo's hand. "Yeah."

He chuckles. "Can I take a picture of you in my taxi?"

"Sure," I say with a small smile.

He drives forward a little faster and I see us go down a double land road  with no houses on either side. Just trees and fields of grass.

And sure enough, up ahead is the gigantic gates with the signature K on them.

The taxi driver slowly comes to a stop and the security guard....My heart stops.

He comes to the car with little wrinkles around his eyes and sullen expression that seems to have stayed there for a long time. He used to have laugh lines that aren't visible. I see greying on the edges of his hair when it used to be a dark black. He walks up to the taxi driver, who lowers the window, and asks, "Who is here?"

"Jennie Kim!" He says excitedly.

The guard widens his eyes before scowling. "Don't you dare joke!"

The driver says, "Please have a look!" He lowers the backside window and the guard walks over.

I turn my head and my heart constricts in my chest as his eyes land on me.

"Jennie?" He breathes in shock.