~chapter 1~

⚠️ WARNING⚠️
Slight child abuse—

Looking at the ceiling of my room, I stare at the turned off light fixture attached above my head.

Out of nowhere, the light fixture turns on, then off, then on again, waking me up.

I hear the door creak open. Turning my head slowly, rolling over to look at the door, I see a figure standing in the doorway.

"Hey Jaxon, it's time for school." A familiar voice speaks to me.

Regardless of being tired, I sit up. I grab my laptop and my bag, and forcefully shove my laptop into the bag, holding the bag in my hands.

I walk towards the door, looking at the tall man in the eyes. "Your lucky I haven't punched you for waking me up you asshole." I say with a long sigh.

"Don't start a day with that tone. You remember what happened last time." The figure replies.

As I remember last time, the fight that broke out between us, the long argument we had, our parents stepping into the fight, pulling us away from eachother, the insults...

I didn't want that again. I hated it. Ending up in a fight with him just absolutely kills me inside.

I stare at him, and with a sigh, I nudge him to the side, walking down the hallway.

As I head down the stairs toward the kitchen, I see my mother who is sitting by the counter, on her phone.

"Hey mom." I say, not actually meaning anything, but trying to seem like it.

She doesn't answer.

"She obviously busy on her phone Jaxon. Just...- here." The figure says, handing me a muffin.

"Thanks..."  I say, eating the muffin, taking small bites.

"Chocolate!" I think to myself, smiling slightly.

I look at the figure, who is smiling as he looks at me.

"I heard about you liking chocolate recently so I went out and bought some chocolate muffins for you." The figure said.

I eat the muffin, with a gentle smile on my face.

Mother looks over, wondering what was going on. "What are you brats doing." Mother says.

I look over, finishing the muffin. "Heading to school. What the hell do you think?" I say, pissed off by the fact of her attitude.

"Watch it! Don't speak to your mother like that!" Mother said, setting her phone on the counter and standing up.

I look at her, a glare in my eyes. "And why not? I ain't scared of you." I say.

Deep down, i know Im scared, I just choose not to show it, especially in front of her.

"I don't want to see you. Get to fucking school." Mother said, grabbing my chin and pushing it away.

"And you..." mother walks up to the figure, my own brother, Dash.

"Don't ever leave this goddamn house with out my permission, Got it?!" Mother says, slapping him across the face.

My eyes widen, knowing that I couldn't do anything but trying to. I try to stay as quiet as I can, not trying to let any thoughts or words slip from my mouth. My head pounding with thoughts rushing through my mind.

"Now, take your sister and get out." Mother says, pointing towards the doorway.

Dash grabs my arm and pulls me out the door, slamming it behind us.

I look up at dash, staring at the red mark on his cheek as it slowly fades back to his original face color.

"Hey, I know your scared okay... you don't have to-"

"Yes I do." I cut dash off, my eyes slightly watering as I think about what had just happened.

I stare at the ground beneath me, watching a single tear fall to the ground.

Dash wraps his arms around me into a hug, pulling me close. I hug him back, my head against his chest, trying to hold in the rest of my tears.

"Jaxon. It's going to be okay, I promise you." Dash said in a gentle voice, with a frown on his face.

"Is it though..?" I ask him, looking up at his face.

Dash stays silent, not responding to my question.

"Dash..?" I ask.

...

No response.

I stare at him for a few seconds, before letting go. My arms drop it my sides, and I look at the street sign.

"Let's just go to school, I guess." I say, slowly turning away and walking down the sidewalk, holding my bag tightly.

as I walk straight towards the yellow vehicle standing in front of me with dash by my side, I look back, staring through the window of our home, before walking into the bus, the door closing behind.