Chapter 15

﹌﹌﹌

Buzz...Buzz

My alarm sounded loudly next to me.

It was the morning after the drivers dinner and I was feeling worse for wear. My head felt like someone was smashing a drum inside it and I'd spent hours thinking about the kiss. It was driving me insane the what ifs of it all. What if Jesy hadn't interrupted? How far would we have gone? What if this ruined our friendship forever?

I hadn't told the girls what had happened and luckily when I sat back down at the table no one had really noticed. Charles had joined back about five minutes later, briefly making eye contact with me before joining back into a conversation beside him with Carlos.

Eventually I'd dragged myself out of bed and got ready. I left my hotel room around noon to get lunch with Jesy, and I still hadn't heard from Charles. He hadn't sent his usual good morning text yet. It had started to annoy me the thought of everything that had happened could've ended up being just swept under the rug. Forgotten about.

When I reached the lobby my headache had began to throb more. But I had to hand it to Jesy who when I finally caught up to her was looking a lot more rough then I was. We'd decided on a small secluded restaurant by the bay that had some good reviews. When we arrived we chose to sit outside, our security sitting on a table closely behind us.

"You've looked better" Jesy joked.

I rolled my eyes and rested my hand against my sore head "You're one to talk, you'll learn your lesson from partying with Max Verstappen for next time"

She groaned slightly "oh don't remind me, them drivers drink on a different level to us" A small grin appeared on her face "What about you? How's your head this morning?" She asked. I was definitely hungover but the moment I'd shared with Charles had left me in an more odd state of mind.

"It feels like I've slammed it into a wall repeatedly" I tentatively rubbed my temples.

Our food had arrived and I fought the urge to eat the plate almost whole. Food was the only thing that was going to sort me out, sort the mess inside my head. Between bites Jesy suddenly spoke up again.

"Have you heard from Charles yet?"

My heart practically fell out of my chest and into my lap at the mention of his name "He didn't seem himself last night"

"Erm..no.. no I haven't he was probably just exhausted from the race" I'd stuffed a hash brown into my mouth in hopes of drowning my voice out from carrying on further.

Jesy looked at me with a puzzled look. I'd well and truly just dropped myself in it. Jesy always knew when I was lying or stressed. Because I would either stress eat or I couldn't look her properly in the eyes. And I was doing both. She placed her knife and fork down abruptly and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Okay what's happened?"

The glass I was lifting to my lips stopped suddenly as I looked at her "what do you mean?"

"Don't play stupid with me, your eyes are telling me everything and the fact you nearly choked on that hash brown, so give it to me straight what the hell has happened with Charles?"

Well fuck. I groaned in defeat, the last thing I wanted to do in this state was tell Jesy about a kiss I hadn't wrapped my head around just yet "please don't do this to me" I begged.

She shook her head laughing at me "Lucinda Stone you best start talking" she paused and cocked her head to side "or I'll phone Charles right now and ask him myself"