Chapter 27

﹌﹌﹌
I'd never felt fear like it.

When Nathan had passed away all that was left behind was an empty bed and discarded IV wires. And that's exactly what I was looking at. Charles was no where to be seen, and the anxiety was beginning to fill my body. I scrambled up from the chair heaving for air attempting to find any clues as to where he'd gone, but I didn't have to in the end. Thankfully.

The door opened and in wheeled Charles. He had a sleepy smile on his face as he sucked on a tube hooked up to a miniature canister "This gas and air stuff is really-" he paused quickly when he saw me crying "What's wrong?!"

I gently whacked his healthy arm, tears streaming down my face when he stood up weakly to comfort me "You were gone I thought you was dead"

His eyes widened, clearly shocked at the frantic state i'd managed to get myself into in the time he'd been gone. For the first time in what had felt like forever, he pulled me into his arms "I'm sorry Luce you were still asleep when they came to collect me for surgery I didn't want to wake you up"

I let out a shaky breath as I nestled into his warm chest, minding his bruised ribs as much as possible "Im sorry I've just been on edge" I sniffled.

"Have you really? I haven't noticed" He gently kissed my head with a laugh.

The hours in a hospital went surprisingly fast for me, I hadn't realised it was mid afternoon until I looked at my phone for the first time. My lock screen was rammed with notifications from my people like my parents, Jesy, a few from Leigh and then one from George.

George- popping to see the main man this afternoon. See you later!

When I glanced up at the clock it was already striking 2pm. I was exhausted, it'd been a long night of unsettling dreams and seriously uncomfortable sleeping positions. I was still in my dress with yesterdays makeup caked on my face, I didn't want to leave Charles's bedside even though I knew he was already becoming slowly better. The room was completely silent as Charles slept, aside from the consistent sound of machines working and the soft breeze of the open window beside me it was peaceful.

Everything had remained that way until I heard Charles's voice, snapping my eyes up from my phone "How are you still here? I thought you'd of gone by now"

"I was going to earlier but I couldn't bring myself to do it"

He strived to sit up but was defeated when he winced in pain and gave up. He looked shattered but the bruises on this face were beginning to gloss over into a nice healing purple "Have you slept at all?"

I reached my hand across the bed taking his in mine "I'm fine"

"Now look who's saying it"

I rolled my eyes "yeah but when I say it I actually mean it"

"Er so do I" He pouted, causing me to flash him a warming grin "George is coming?"

"Supposed to be yeah"

I knew it would be more alleviating for Charles to have his close friends by his side. If it had been me in that bed I would've wanted nothing more then my girls with me. There was only so much I could do for him, and crying every twenty minutes was doing fuck all.