Chapter 18

Not the result we was hoping for in Japan but nevertheless Charles you did fucking amazing. To go from P8 to P4 and get driver of the day, Jules would've been so so proud of you. Lap 17. P1. He was watching over you🕊️🤍

Bit of a shorter chapter this one as the next will be longer!

                                 ﹌﹌﹌
I hadn't been asleep long. The only way I was certain of that was when I awoke to the sound of my phone ringing, it was still pitch black outside. My head felt groggy from the lack of sleep I'd been getting over the weeks, so it took me a minute to fully wake up before realising my phone was still ringing. I grabbed it from where it rested on my nightstand and answered.

"Hello?" I groaned rubbing my sore eyes open.

"Hey did I wake you?" Charles sounded alert as usual with a slight chuckle in his voice. My stomach fluttered slightly when I heard him, it'd been awhile since I had. I glanced towards my alarm clock that I hadn't changed since I was twelve years old, it was still smothered in colourful stickers. I was honestly surprised it still was functioning.

3:23am

"Do you realise it's three o'clock in the morning here" I tried to hide the slight tone of annoyance in my voice. After all it was the middle of the fucking night, and I never allowed anyone to disturb my sleep. Not even Charles Leclerc.

"Oh shit i'm sorry I forgot there was different time zones. I just wanted to hear your voice before practice and quali started"

I was silent for a moment cursing him in my mind. How the hell I couldn't stay mad at that man was a mystery to me. I rolled my eyes and cursed myself too before I spoke again.

"No it's okay, how is everything hows Japan?"

A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he spoke, his voice strained with fatigue and emotion. Whilst wrapped up in my own bubble for two months, I almost forgot the back to back races Charles had been doing. Since Bahrain he had raced in Australia too and the time zones must've really screwed with him.

"Japan is incredible Ive always loved this place and the people. Its definitely a lot of driver's favourites as well. It's just the track that's challenging. Any mistakes are going to be punished with how narrow it is. Oh and it's expected to rain which is just shit" he paused "Sorry that sounded way to formal. I'm still in interview mode"

Rain. The one word that every driver hated. Especially on a race day and considering the tragedy I'd just learnt of I didn't know what to say next.

"Well I'm glad it's going good but just be careful tomorrow Charles..I just don't know what i'd do if something happened to you"

There was silence on the other end. Even though I couldn't see him I knew he was smiling.

"I promise I'll come back to you safe and in one piece"

"Good because I don't fancy hurting you myself"

He chuckled softly at my remark "I don't think you could ever hurt me. Not with your words at least" He paused for a moment before adding quietly "And even if you did, I would still do anything for you"

Damn you Charles Leclerc. I was smiling like a Cheshire Cat. It was honestly embarrassing. I felt like a teenager all over again and as if by coincidence I was layed in my childhood bed. Never in my life would I had imagined it would be Charles on the other end of the phone though.

"I'd never hurt you Charles"

"That's why I trust you with my life" His voice was gentle and reassuring, reflecting the deep trust and affection that bonded us together in the first place. The kindness and purity of our hearts. Even though we were physically apart, it didn't change us.