The begining

5 years ago / year 6 at Primary school.

Exam test

1- On a scale from 1-10 how much do you want to be a Hero?
________________________________________________________
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2- in your own words, describe what a perfect Hero should act like.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3- tick the two that are most important in a Hero's line of work
☐ Strategy
☐ Saving the day
☐ Money
☐ Quirk's
☐ Kindness

4- What does it mean to be a Hero?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Page 1

You awkwardly gazed around the room to see if anyone else in your class was struggling to answer these questions you had been presented with.

Your brows furrowed as you watched every other student write things down or tick boxes, a dull feeling building up in your chest the more you analysed the questions.

Why were they making you do these tests all of a sudden? It wasn't even planned, they just sprung it on you halfway through the day. Was this part of the year 6 SATs that were supposed to happen in a few weeks?

You didn't remember your teacher saying anything about having a Hero exam. Maybe you had just forgotten or weren't listening well enough when she said it.

Your eleven year old self didn't even know what food you wanted for dinner tonight, let alone what you wanted to be when you were older. How were you even to begin answering these questions, and better yet, why was no one else having a problem like you were.

You rubbed the side of your arm that was previously pricked with a needle this morning. Flu jab, you were told, although, you thought you had already had that one a few months ago.

Never once had you liked the idea of being stabbed and injected with anything, who knows what could be in it. The foreign substance entering your bloodstream could either be helpful or harmful and this particular one danced a fine line between the two.

A pathetic aching pain was stopping you from focusing on the exam and more on your surroundings, the nurses from this morning still hanging around even though everyone was done already.

Your teacher who sat in her normal seat with an unreadable expression, stared out the window in thought while the raven haired woman whom you'd never seen before, had her eyes set on you with her arms folded and a cold gaze.

You gulped a little, pretending to be answering the questions that were on the page before you.

Eventually you settled on drawing a small line on the number '5.' A neutral half way mark that showed you weren't particularly bothered nor cared about the future outcome.

You really didn't know much about being a Hero, other than that they save people and stop villains. Did you want to be the centre of attention all the time for everyone to either love you or hate you?

But then again, it was also very much like that in the modelling world with your small career your parents had managed to land you due to being pretty high class fashion designers.

You were grateful, but being a child still and not having any time off other than the moments when you got a snack break in between school time and being in the studio, wasn't the lifestyle you wanted to continue with for much longer.

'A Hero should save people who need saving and protect them from villains' was your answer to question 2.

Although it wasn't very well written, you knew what you wanted to write down and hopefully the person who marked these tests didn't care too much for fancy words.

The third question stumped you a little.
3- tick the two that are most important in a Hero's line of work
☐ Strategy
☐ Saving the day
☐ Money
☐ Quirk's
☐ Kindness

Strategy was by far the most important when it came to forming a plan, but so was Saving the day and Kindness. Most Hero interviews you watch on Tv when you get the chance always go on about being kind and treating everyone equally.

So then why is everyone always talking about saving the day if it isn't the most important part of being a Hero?

You drew a tick in the box next to 'strategy' and finally concluded on placing the other next to 'kindness' as well.

These questions were difficult. You had always struggled on exams, always overthinking the meaning of the question or second guessing yourself and getting it wrong, but this test. Was by far the most difficult one yet.

What does it actually mean to be a hero?

Could real Hero's even answer that question instantly?

How on earth were you expected to answer this one without ever learning first hand what it's like to be such a thing. Maybe that's what they want. They want you to be curious and find out for yourselves.

You left the question blank and subtly glanced around the room again, noticing everyone still writing in sync.

Your twin brother Katsuki was somewhere in the classroom opposite you. Was he having to do the same test? If so, was he struggling just like you were?

Gnawing on the inside of your cheeks and bouncing your leg up and down slightly you turned back to look at the paper, your breaths ragged and choppy.

5- Was being a Hero always the 'end goal'?
Yes ☐ No ☐

End goal? Did you really even have an end goal? What exactly did you want from life? Was being a Hero ever an option for you?

You quickly skimmed past the question as your shallow breaths quickened, your leg continuously moving, the room around you grew dark, the only thing in your vision still remaining being the exam paper that taunted you silently.

Your heart was about to fracture your rib cage with how heavily it was beating, your tenseness in your muscles starting to make you sweat as you let a few stray hairs flop into your face.

Clutching the sides of your seat while you slightly leaned over the desk, your hazy vision coming and going while the ticking of a clock echoed around the dark void your mind was trapped in.

The questions from the test bounced around in your mind, seeming to get louder and louder every time a new one popped up, layered frantic voices filling your ears and hurting your head.

You were almost on the verge of a breakdown, nails scratching the seat and chest rising and falling quicker than it should be.

Looking down at the page one more time, your eyes scanned over the last question.

6- Or are you just trying to prove a point to people who doubt you.
Yes ☐ Yes ☐

Then everything went quiet. The ticking of the clock on the wall showing the time 2:59 Pm.

The world around you slowly came back into sight, the rest of your classmates sat up straight, facing the front with their papers laid out in front of them.

You moved yours to the side, placing your pencil back in your pencil case and staring at the clock, waiting desperately for hometime to come around.

3 Pm struck, and your usual teacher dismissed you all, everyone walking out the room in an unusually orderly fashion.

You did the same after grabbing your bag and putting your things away, avoiding the glance the black haired woman sent you as you left the classroom in search for your brother.