FOUR

Alyssanne stands between Aegon and Halaena as they lower the coffin of Lady Laena, carved to resemble her likeness. Alyssanne holds Aegon's hand tightly, their presence there to pay respects despite not knowing Laena personally. She observes Vaemond Velaryon delivering a speech, emphasizing the significance of the Velaryon bloodline, while his gaze occasionally flickers towards Rhaenyra. It's evident he's drawing attention to the fact that Rhaenyra's husband, Laenor Velaryon, is from their house, yet their sons do not bear a strong resemblance to him.

Her uncle, Daemon, chuckles at something, prompting Alyssanne to whisper, "Laena was Daemon's wife. How dare he laugh?" Her words carry a mixture of disbelief and anger at the perceived disrespect shown towards Lady Laena by Daemon's laughter. Laena's coffin is respectfully cast into the sea, a solemn gesture marking her final journey as her memory is honored by those gathered to bid her farewell.

After the funeral concludes, they proceed to the funeral feast. Alyssanne and Halaena stick together, with Halaena entertaining herself by playing with her spider. She mutters cryptically, "Hand turns loom; spool of green, spool of black; dragons of flesh weaving dragons of thread." Her words, though enigmatic, carry a sense of mystique and intrigue.

Alyssanne overhears Aegon's remark, "Well, no one knows what she mutters all the time. Aemond, take care of her, otherwise, I'll tell Sunfyre to eat you." Sunfyre, a large golden dragon belonging to Aegon, adds a weighty implication to Aegon's words. Alyssanne shoots Aegon a warning look that conveys, "Lay a finger on him and see," indicating her fierce protectiveness towards her younger brother, Aemond.

Helaena continues to mutter, her words cryptic yet persistent, "Gold, silver, and bronze against red, yellow, and green," her murmurs adding to the air of mystery surrounding her. Helaena suddenly traps the spider within her palms, her actions swift and unexpected, leaving Alyssanne and those around them momentarily taken aback by the sudden movement. "Come, Hel. Eat something," Alyssanne says gently, extending an invitation to her younger sister. Helaena nods in acknowledgment, her attention shifting from her palms to the offer of food. Helaena releases the spider from her palms, allowing it to scuttle away as she shifts her focus to the meal Alyssanne offers.

The proceedings pass quickly, and before they know it, the sun begins to set. Alyssanne finds herself watching the sunset with Aegon, the serene beauty of the moment washing over them as they share a quiet, contemplative moment. "You shouldn't have threatened Aemond, Aeggie," Alyssanne says softly, her tone tinged with reproach as she addresses Aegon's earlier remark. "He was chattering about Vhagar. It set me on edge," explains Aegon. Vhagar, the largest and oldest dragon of Westeros, held significant weight and history in the minds of the Targaryens, explaining Aegon's reaction to Aemond's words.

Alyssanne leans her head on Aegon's shoulder. Despite being two years younger than her, Aegon has caught up in height; until last year, Alyssanne was taller than him. She was 15 summers old, while he was 13 summers old. "Unto the last year, I did tower above thee," Alyssanne remarks, noting the reversal in their heights. Aegon smirks, "You used to always tease me about that." 

Alyssanne smiles, noting the setting sun, "We should depart now; lingering longer may raise suspicions, especially considering our betrothal," she suggests, mindful of appearances. Aegon chuckles at himself, "You're right. I hadn't realized it," he admits, acknowledging Alyssanne's astute observation. They walk hand in hand, Alyssanne sharing a chamber with Halaena while Aegon shares a chamber with Aemond and Daeron. With their departure from Driftmark planned for the morrow, they prepare for the journey ahead, their bond strengthened by the events of the day. 

"Where's Aemond?" Alyssanne inquires, noticing his absence in the room and wondering about his whereabouts. "I don't know, sister. I haven't seen him since supper," replied Daeron, expressing his uncertainty about Aemond's whereabouts. Aemond and Daeron held a special place in Alyssanne's heart as the youngest of her siblings, and she cherished them dearly.

Halaena then enters and delivers the news, "Mother and Father are calling us to the hall. Aemond has injured his left eye," she announces, her tone conveying a sense of urgency and concern. Alyssanne hears her father's voice raised in anger as he addresses Ser Harold Westerling, the Kingsguard. "How could you allow such a thing to happen? I will have answers," Viserys declares sternly, his tone filled with fury and determination to uncover the truth behind Aemond's injury.