FIFTEEN

"Mother, did you order Princess Rhaenys to be placed under castle arrest?" Alyssanne inquired of Alicent, three hours after the coronation had taken place. 

"Yes, I did," Alicent confirmed. "Why do you ask?"

"I wanted to inform her about Ser Laenor. He isn't dead," Alyssanne revealed.

"Hold on, he's still alive?" Alicent questioned.

"Yes, he and his lover Qarl managed to escape to Essos," Alyssanne explained.

"That implies Rhaenyra and Daemon's marriage is not valid," Alicent concluded.

"I wished to inform her of this in hopes of gaining her support," Alyssanne said, gently stroking her pregnant belly. 

"Where is Aegon?" Alicent asked.

"He's in the council room," Alyssanne replied, lying down on the bed. "The maester has advised me to stay in bed for a few days until the baby is born, so I won't be able to attend the council meetings." Alicent sat down beside Alyssanne and gently stroked her hair. Tears filled her eyes as she experienced a moment of happiness. She was grateful that her daughter, who was not her biological child, had turned out to be so different from her sister.

"Why are you crying, Mother?" Alyssanne asked.

"I'm not crying, my dear," Alicent sniffled. "You resemble your sister so much, yet you are so different from her."

Alyssanne held her mother's hand. "Mother," she said, "I'll never be like her. I never abandoned Helaena, Aemond, or Daeron. I'll never abandon them. I love Aegon. I'll never leave him as Laenor did to Rhaenyra."

"I'm so proud of you. You are more like me than Aegon, Helaena, Aemond, or Daeron," Alicent expressed.

"Mother, why didn't you abandon me even though I wasn't your child?" Alyssanne asked. It was a question that had troubled her for years, but she had never found the courage to ask Alicent until now. 

Alicent responded gently, "I felt a connection to you because your mother, Queen Aemma, passed away. My mother had died a year before Queen Aemma's death. I pitied you and wanted you to have a mother figure. I didn't know your father intended to marry me until it was announced in council. It was a surprise. When I married him, I realized my wish had come true." Alicent stroked Alyssanne's hair as she spoke. Alyssanne smiled, reassured and comforted by her mother's words.

Alicent chuckled as she reminisced. "I remember when you were just 4 name-days old, and I was expecting Helaena. You and Aegon were talking; he was just two at the time, and he said, 'Me and sissy together.'" 

"He did?" Alyssanne asked. 

"Yeah," Alicent responded, "I think he has always been in love with you."

Alyssanne smiled softly and said, "That makes sense. We've always been close, even as children."

Alicent says, "I'm looking forward to welcoming another grandchild."

Alyssanne smiled. "Helaena told me yesterday that she is expecting."

Alicent reflected, "That means another grandchild is on the way."