TWENTY TWO

Aegon, typically not one to indulge heavily in wine, finds himself consumed by rage and grief in the wake of his daughter's tragic loss. Seeking solace in alcohol, he drinks more than usual, succumbing to the numbing embrace of intoxication as he grapples with the weight of his emotions.

"You shouldn't drink so heavily, Aeggie," Alyssanne gently admonishes, her voice laced with concern as she addresses him with a tender nickname.

"I can't bear it, Allie," Aegon confesses, his voice choked with tears and anger.

Alyssanne, feeling the weight of their shared sorrow, rests her head on Aegon's chest as he speaks. "Our daughter... Our Vaenya..." he murmurs, his voice heavy with grief and longing.

Tears streaming down her face, Alyssanne nods solemnly, her heart heavy with sorrow. "I understand," she murmurs softly, her voice quivering with emotion.

Aegon's touch is gentle as he caresses her hair, his own tears mingling with Alyssanne's. "I should have been there," he whispers hoarsely, his voice choked with sobs of regret and anguish.

"You were in a council meeting when it happened," Alyssanne murmurs, her voice trailing off as the painful memory resurfaces.

Aegon's heart clenches with guilt as he remembers the circumstances surrounding Vaenya's tragic fate. "I should have been there for her," he whispers, his voice heavy with remorse.

──────⊱⁜⊰──────

In the council room, Jasper Wylde delivers grim news to the royals. "Your Graces," he begins, his tone grave, "Daemon has launched an attack on our southern wall."

"I thought the southern wall was heavily fortified," Alyssanne remarks, her brow furrowing in concern as she glances at Gael, peacefully asleep in her crib beside her.

"They were, My Queen," Ser Criston explains, grimly expressing, "But the Gold Cloaks remain loyal to Daemon. They are currently managing the defense of the southern wall."

"War seems inevitable," Aemond declares, his tone resolute as he faces the grim reality of the situation.

"We have no choice," Aegon affirms, his grip tightening on Alyssanne's hand beneath the table, "To war, then."

Alyssanne sighs but doesn't say anything. She wants Rhaenyra to pay. She wanted revenge for her daughter, her first-born.