EIGHTEEN

Lord Jasper addressed Aegon and Alyssanne, "Your Graces, we need to secure more alliances and send a clear message to Princess Rhaenyra to relinquish her claim to the throne." Alyssanne, sitting beside Aegon and holding the sleeping Gael, listened attentively.

Aemond, serving as Master of the Coin at Alyssanne's request, questioned the necessity of further communication. "Haven't we already sent a message to her?" he asked, wondering if additional actions were needed.

"We did. I sent grandfather to make amends with her," Aegon said, holding Alyssanne's hand tightly. Otto then added, "She referred to herself as Queen Rhaenyra."

Maester Orwyle urged the royal couple, "We need to take decisive action, Your Graces. The crown is now embroiled in war."

Alyssanne nodded in agreement, her mind already strategizing. "We need the support of Houses Bar Emmon and Tully," she concluded, recognizing the importance of securing key alliances.

Aemond pointed out, "House Bar Emmon is a vassal of House Baratheon, and since we already have House Baratheon on our side, they should follow suit and align with us."

Aegon inquired, "And what about House Tully?"

Otto responded, "House Tully has traditionally been loyal to the Iron Throne, but they may be hesitant due to the current situation. We must offer them favorable terms and appeal to their sense of duty. Perhaps a strategic marriage alliance could sway them to our side."

Alyssanne inquired, "Does the head of House Tully have any daughters?" She was considering the potential for a marriage alliance to strengthen their ties with House Tully.

Otto nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, Lord Tully has a daughter named Ellyn. She could be a key part of securing their support through a marriage alliance if approached strategically."

Alyssanne inquired further, "How old is she?" She wanted to gauge the suitability of a potential match based on Ellyn's age.

Otto responded, "Ellyn Tully is just one name-day old, Your Grace. Given Aerion's age, a betrothal could be arranged for the future. This match would secure House Tully's allegiance and strengthen our position."

Aegon nodded thoughtfully. "A betrothal between Aerion and Ellyn would indeed solidify our alliance with House Tully. Let's move forward with the arrangement, but we must ensure Lord Tully is well-accommodated in the process."

Alyssanne affirmed, "They will be wed when they come of age." She emphasized the importance of honoring the betrothal agreement while allowing the young Aerion and Ellyn to grow before their marriage.

Aegon nodded in agreement. "Agreed," he said. "Their union will be a symbol of the unity between our houses, and we will ensure it is celebrated appropriately when the time comes."

With unanimous agreement reached, the rest of the council departed, leaving Aegon, Alyssanne, and Gael alone in the chamber.

"I'll avenge Vaenya. She didn't deserve to die," Alyssanne declared, her voice filled with determination and grief.

Aegon took Alyssanne's hand and looked her in the eyes. "She didn't deserve any of it, Allie. We will make sure her death is not in vain and bring those responsible to justice."

Alyssanne held Gael close, tears welling in her eyes. "Gael... she looks just like Vaenya," she said, her voice trembling with emotion.

Aegon nodded, his eyes filled with sorrow. "I know, my love. Gael is a blessing, and seeing her brings back memories of our sweet Vaenya. But we'll protect her, just like we'll protect all our children. We'll keep them safe."

Through her tears, Alyssanne asked, "Now that Vaenya is no longer with us, will you designate Visenya as your heir?"

Aegon nods solemnly. "Yes, my love. Visenya will be our heir now. She's strong and wise, just like her sister. We'll guide her as she grows, and she'll be ready when the time comes."

Aegon looks at Alyssanne, his thoughts turning to their youngest children, Aerion and Gael. "And Aerion and Gael," he says softly, "we'll raise them with the same love and care, ensuring they're ready for whatever the future holds."