EIGHT

Alyssanne stands beside her mother, welcoming Rhaenyra and Daemon, "Princess Rhaenyra and Prince Daemon," Alicent announces. Alyssanne responds with a subtle eye roll. Alicent adds, "It has been so long since we were granted the joy of your presence." Alyssanne rolls her eyes once more and gently strokes her pregnant belly, silently pondering, "What's Mother trying to do here?"

Daemon responds, "True, Your Grace. Though perhaps not quite long enough to warrant such a formal welcome upon our return." Rhaenyra assures Daemon, "I'm certain the Queen had important matters to attend to, my love. Neither of us is familiar with the burdens of ruling a kingdom. As you know, I do not rule."

Alyssanne adds, "My grandsire and mother merely carry out the King's decisions and wisdom."

Daemon quips, "And how does he express this wisdom? Through blinks and wheezes? I'd be surprised if he could even remember his name. Or if you could, for that matter." 

Alicent states, "King Viserys's condition has deteriorated since your last visit." Daemon responds with a laugh.

Alicent continues, "It subjects him to considerable pain. On the advice of the maesters—"

Rhaenyra says, "Ah, the maesters. Of course. It is they who keep him... addled on the milk of the poppy while the Hightowers warm his throne."

Alicent says, "Rhaenyra, if you would see him without it, almost blind with suffering."

Daemon says, "Oh, Alicent, I have no doubt it was... an act of the purest mercy, but tell me, for the King's suffering, did the maesters also prescribe the removal of Targaryen heraldry and the installation in its stead of various statues and stars?"

Alyssanne responds, "The emblems of the Seven serve only to guide us on an uncertain path. To remind us of a higher authority."

Daemon rolls his eyes, while Rhaenyra asks Alicent, "And on the morrow, which authority will sit in judgment of my son's claim on his inheritance?" Alicent responds, "That would be mine... and the Hand's."

Daemon simply acknowledges with an "Ah." Alicent reassures them, "Rest assured, justice will be meted out fairly, and I am commanded to disregard the accusations made here today."

Alicent asks concernedly as they are leaving the chamber, "Are you sure you're alright, my dear?" 

Alyssanne reassures her, "I'm fine, Mother. It's just the pregnancy hormones acting up." Her due date is approaching, adding to her discomfort. 

"Do you want to rest?" inquires Alicent with concern. "It's perfectly fine if you decide not to attend the hearing," she adds, understanding Alyssanne's condition. Alyssanne reassures her mother with a smile. "I'm fine, Mother. Don't worry," she says.

Alicent notices Alyssanne's difficulty in walking and offers her assistance. "Allow me to assist you, Alyssanne," she says, supporting her. Aegon observes this and intervenes, saying to his mother, "Mother, I'll take care of this." 

As they make their way to their chambers, Aegon supports his wife and expresses his concern. "How many times do I have to remind you not to overexert yourself in this state?" he says, worries evident in his voice. Alyssanne reassures Aegon as she settles down on the bed. "I'm alright, Aegon. No need to worry," she says softly. 

"Would you like assistance with changing into your nightgown?" Aegon offers tenderly. "Very well," Alyssanne responds, a bit sheepishly. Aegon assists Alyssanne in putting on her nightgown, gently planting a soft kiss on her neck. 

Aegon says, "I love you, Allie."

Alyssanne responds, "I love you too, Aeggie."

Alyssanne nestles closer to Aegon, her voice muffled against his neck, "With Father's condition, it's clear what's to come. When you ascend to the throne, promise me that Vaenya will be your heir." Aegon holds her close, "I promise, my love. Vaenya will be our heir."

Alyssanne is puzzled, "Our heir?" 

Aegon laughs softly, "You believe I could manage a kingdom by myself? You'll be more than my Queen Consort; you'll be my Queen Regent."

Alyssanne appears even more puzzled, "Huh?"

Aegon chuckles and kisses her forehead. He smiles and softly says, "I mean it, Allie. You've always been my strength and my support. With you by my side, I know we can rule together, as equals."

"Are you jesting?" Alyssanne inquires, her happiness evident.

"No jest, my love," Aegon replies tenderly, "I am sincere in my promise. You will be my equal in all matters of the realm."

Alyssanne smiles, "Then I shall endeavor to be a worthy Queen."

Aegon smiles warmly, "And I shall be a supportive king, by your side always."

Alyssanne nestles closer to Aegon and soon falls into a peaceful slumber. As Alyssanne falls asleep, Aegon wraps his arms around her protectively, watching over her as she rests. "Good night, my love," he says and he too, drifts off to sleep.