FOURTEEN

"Show some appreciation, Aegon. Do you comprehend the efforts made to bring you to this moment?" Alicent scolds Aegon in the carriage.

"Mother, please stop," Alyssanne interjected. "He kept questioning himself if he was fit to be king." 

Aegon remarked, "For years, Father had the opportunity to designate either me or Alyssanne as heir, yet he consistently championed Rhaenyra's right."

Alicent asserted, "He had a change of heart."

Aegon chuckled softly before saying, "No, he had the chance, but he never made the decision."

Alyssanne stated, "It's because he didn't favor us, not even Helaena, Aemond, or Daeron. Only Rhaenyra."

Alicent declared, "Nevertheless, in his last moments, he whispered to me that you two should succeed him on the throne as King and Queen Regent."

Aegon cautioned, "Mother, do not jest with us."

"I speak the truth," Alicent insisted. Aegon turned away, while Alyssanne tightly held his hand.

Alicent then spoke, "Listen to me, Aegon and Alyssanne. Your grandfather, the Hand, will attempt to convince you that Rhaenyra should face execution."

"I believe what Grandsire says is correct. She will attempt to harm our children, Mother," Alyssanne asserted.

"How many times do I have to tell you, my love, that they will be protected?" Aegon asked.

"Both of you listen to me," Alicent begins, "We mustn't rule with cruelty and callousness. For all her faults, she is your sister, your... your father's daughter—" Alyssanne interrupts sharply, "She wasn't there for more than half of my life," as Aegon keeps his hand placed protectively on her pregnant belly.

"Why should we even call her our sister when she took my brother's eye?" Alyssanne questioned, insinuating that Rhaenyra's son, Lucerys, was responsible for Aemond's injury.

From outside of the carriage, a commander yelled, "Clear the path for the royal wheelhouse!"

They disembarked from the carriage, Aegon providing support to Alyssanne, who was heavily pregnant and due in a few days.

Their grandfather Otto announced solemnly, "People of King's Landing... today is the saddest of days. Our beloved king... Viserys the Peaceful... has passed away." Murmurs rippled through the crowd in response.

Otto continued, "But it is also the most joyous of days... for as his spirit departed from us... he whispered his final wish: that his children, Aegon and Alyssanne, should ascend to the throne in his place."

A battalion of soldiers formed two parallel lanes as Aegon and Alyssanne proceeded towards the stage.

Otto declared, "It is your great fortune and privilege to witness this: a new era for our city... a new era for our realm. A new king and queen... to guide us forward."

As they reached the stage, Alicent kissed them both on their foreheads. Aegon knelt down, and the septon anointed him with Holy Oil, saying, "May the Warrior grant him courage. May the Smith bestow strength upon his sword and shield. May the Father protect him in his times of need. May the Crone illuminate his path with wisdom."

As Alyssanne was heavily pregnant, she only bent down slightly, supported by Aegon. The septon anointed her, saying, "May the Warrior grant her courage. May the Smith bestow strength upon her sword and shield. May the Father protect her in her times of need. May the Crone illuminate her path with wisdom."

Ser Criston proclaimed, "The crown of the Conqueror and his sister-wife, Rhaenys, has been passed down through generations." He continued, "Let the Seven bear witness: Aegon Targaryen and Alyssanne Targaryen are the rightful heirs to the Iron Throne."

Then he proclaimed, "All hail His Grace, Aegon, Second of his Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm," as he placed a black crown adorned with rubies upon Aegon's head.

And he declared, "All hail Her Grace, Alyssanne, Second of her name, Queen Regent of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, Consort of Aegon, Second of his name," as he placed a smaller and feminine version of Aegon's crown upon Alyssanne's head. He then announced, "Aegon the King! Alyssanne the Queen!" Alyssanne held his hand tightly, providing comfort and support.

Aegon, momentarily lost in thought, snapped back to attention as the crowd erupted into applause. With a smile, he glanced towards the crowd before drawing his ancestral sword, Blackfyre, with a flourish. Alyssanne smiled at her husband, knowing deep down that she and Aegon had earned this moment of recognition and authority.

Just then, the floorboards cracked open, and Rhaenys emerged sitting on her dragon Meleys, also known as the Red Queen, from the depths below. Panic ensued as civilians scrambled to flee for their lives. Aegon swiftly positioned himself in front of Alyssanne, ready to shield her from any potential danger, his stance resolute and protective. Alicent positioned herself in front of her children, with Helaena displaying a curious expression, while Aemond stood protectively before her, his demeanor reflecting his readiness to defend his family.

Rhaenys gave them a stern look, and then Meleys spread its wings and flew away, disappearing into the sky.