NINETEEN

Alyssanne quietly sits up, trying not to disturb Aegon's sleep. Tears stream down her face as she remembers Vaenya and her dream. Her heart aches with the loss, but she knows she must be strong for her remaining children. She wipes her tears, takes a deep breath, and tries to calm herself down, hoping she can return to sleep soon. Aegon, feeling the emptiness beside him and sensing Alyssanne's distress, wakes up and turns to face her. He can see the sadness in her eyes and hears her quiet sniffles.

"Allie, are you okay?" he asks gently, reaching out to hold her. "What's wrong?" He knows something must have upset her, but he doesn't want to pressure her to speak if she's not ready. He just wants to offer his support and comfort. Aegon holds Alyssanne tightly, letting her cry in his embrace. He strokes her hair soothingly, offering his silent support and understanding. He knows there are no words that can ease her pain, but he hopes his presence can bring her some comfort in this moment of grief.

"I miss her," Alyssanne murmurs. "I miss her too, Allie," Aegon whispers, his voice filled with sorrow. "Vaenya will always hold a special place in our hearts. We'll carry her memory with us forever." He holds Alyssanne closer, offering his unwavering support in their shared grief.

"Aegon," Alyssanne begins, her voice trembling with emotion, "When those assassins came... I... I wanted to shield our children. I offered myself in exchange, but they refused. They said they wanted to punish you and Aemond."

Aegon's expression darkens as he listens to Alyssanne's words. "I'm grateful you're safe, Allie," he says, his voice filled with concern. "But those cowards will pay for what they've done. No one threatens our family and gets away with it." He holds her tightly, determined to protect their loved ones at all costs.

Alyssanne's tears flow freely as she expresses her pain and anger. "I want justice," she whispers, her voice filled with determination. "Rhaenyra and Daemon will pay for their crimes. I won't rest until they face the consequences of their actions."

Aegon holds Alyssanne's trembling form even tighter, his anger simmering beneath the surface. "I promise you, Allie," he murmurs, his voice firm with determination. "Vaenya will be avenged. Rhaenyra and Daemon will answer for what they've done. I swear it." He gently kisses her forehead, silently vowing to fulfill his promise no matter the cost.

Feeling a flicker of hope amidst her grief, Alyssanne nods slowly. "Thank you, Aegon," she whispers, finding solace in his unwavering support. "We'll make them pay together." She clings to him, drawing strength from their shared determination to seek justice for their daughter.

Aegon presses his lips tenderly against hers, conveying his love and reassurance without needing to say a word. 

Alyssanne responds to the kiss, finding comfort and solace in Aegon's embrace. The pain of Gael's birth weighs heavily on her, unlike anything she's experienced with her previous pregnancies. As the Queen Regent and wife of the King, she carries the weight of responsibility alongside the physical toll of childbirth. Yet, at this moment with Aegon, she finds a brief respite from her burdens.

"What's wrong, my love?" Aegon asks, concern evident in his voice as he notices Alyssanne's troubled expression.

"While I was giving birth to Gael, I longed for your presence," Alyssanne confides, her voice tinged with vulnerability. "The pain was overwhelming, and I needed you by my side."

Aegon's heart clenches with regret as he listens to Alyssanne's words. "I'm sorry, Allie," he murmurs, his voice filled with remorse. "The maesters' decision to keep me away was out of my control. I wished to be there for you, every step of the way." He reaches out to gently caress her cheek, silently expressing his regret for not being able to support her during such a challenging time.

"But you are the King," Alyssanne reminds him gently, her voice filled with longing. "They allowed you to be there when I was giving birth to Vaenya and Visenya. They also allowed you when I was giving birth to Aerion." She gazes into his eyes, her expression conveying her deep desire for his presence during Gael's birth.

Aegon's expression softens with understanding as he realizes the significance of Alyssanne's words. "You're right, Allie," he acknowledges, a hint of sadness in his voice. "I should have insisted on being there with you, regardless of the maesters' objections. I'll make sure to be by your side for our future children's births." He leans in to kiss her forehead, silently promising to never let her face such moments alone again.

"For now, I don't wish to have more children," Alyssanne admits, her body weakened by Gael's birth and the toll it took on her. Despite her frailty, she's grateful to have avoided childbed fever.

Aegon nods understandingly, his concern for Alyssanne's well-being evident in his eyes. "Of course, my love," he says gently, "Your health is of utmost importance to me. We'll wait until you're fully recovered before considering more children." He reaches out to gently squeeze her hand, silently reassuring her of his support and understanding.