TWENTY ONE

Alyssanne found herself once again in a council meeting, listening as Aegon delivered a stern warning. "Plot against the king and I will pay it back a hundred times over," he declared firmly. The threat from Rhaenyra and Daemon loomed over them, with the ultimatum to relinquish the throne or face dire consequences.

"Our coffers are substantial, but they are not bottomless," Alicent remarks, acknowledging their kingdom's financial strength while emphasizing the need for prudent management and resource allocation.

"We cannot afford to underestimate our enemies, nor can we overlook the need for decisive action," Alyssanne responds, her voice tinged with determination. "Rhaenyra's threats cannot go unanswered. We must ensure that justice is served for our family's safety and the realm's stability."

"Your Grace, we cannot simply rush into war," Ser Criston advises, his tone carrying a sense of caution. "Such actions would only destabilize the realm further."

"I understand the risks, Ser Criston," Aegon responds, his voice measured yet resolute. "But we cannot stand idle while our family and our kingdom are threatened. We must find a way to protect our interests without plunging the realm into chaos."

"Ser Criston, if we refrain from taking action against the Blacks, we leave ourselves vulnerable to their aggression," Aemond states firmly, his demeanor resolute.

"I concur with Prince Aemond's assessment, Your Graces," Jasper Wylde, the master of laws, adds in agreement.

"If we cannot launch an offensive, then we must focus on fortifying our defenses around King's Landing," Alyssanne suggests, her tone resolute. "Building fortifications and bolstering garrisons will help safeguard our capital from any potential threats."

"My queen speaks wisdom," Aegon acknowledges, his tone carrying a note of respect and admiration. "Securing the capital is paramount in these uncertain times. We shall proceed with fortifications and strengthen our defenses to ensure the safety of our people."

──────⊱⁜⊰──────

The evening of Vaenya's funeral weighed heavily on Alyssanne and Aegon's hearts. Seeking solace amidst the tranquility of the palace gardens, they took a somber stroll, hoping to find a moment of respite from their grief.

"I had them captured, but unfortunately, the Kingsguard could only apprehend the one called Blood," Aegon reveals, his voice tinged with frustration.

"Did he divulge any information?" Alyssanne inquired.

Aegon lets out a weary sigh before speaking, "Rhaenyra had a stillborn daughter, and as we're aware, her son Lucerys was killed by Aemond. It seems Daemon dispatched these assassins to seek retribution."

Alyssanne's gaze shifts towards the sky, where the ominous figure of Caraxes, Daemon's formidable dragon, looms overhead. Aegon's urgent command snaps her attention back to the present. "Go to our chambers and take the children with you!" he orders, his tone filled with concern and urgency.

But Alyssanne's resolve is unwavering. "I'm not leaving without you, Aegon," she asserts firmly, her determination matching his.

The voice echoing through King's Landing rings with a chilling threat. "People of King's Landing," it cries out, "Tell your jesters of a king and queen to kneel and surrender their throne to Queen Rhaenyra, or else the entire realm and their family will be consumed by flames." The source of the menacing voice is revealed to be Daemon himself. As the ominous warning hangs in the air, Caraxes, his formidable dragon, takes flight and disappears into the distance, leaving an unsettling atmosphere in its wake.