Chapter 8 Lorelai

"You know, I feel like I'm taking advantage ofyou." I say as Luanne brings me a cup of tea. She refuses to bring me coffee.

"I'm not doing this for free." She gives me a wry smile.

"Right." I sigh. I suppose it's Doug and Jake I'm taking advantage of. "Can I ask you something?"

"That depends. If it's too personal I may not answer." She sits down in the rocking chair that makes me think of her as a grandmother, though the only thing that says old is her hair.

"Reasonable." I take a drink, "I'm new to the crossroads so I'm not sure about alot of things."

"And Mr. Maller got turned into a duck before he could getty you up to speed?" She says sympathetically.

"Yes, well, alot of things happened and it's a little much but from a woman's standpoint, how to you feel about incubi?" I wonder how personal a question that is.

"They're alright as long as they behave themselves. Most do. It's rare to find one that's not incredibly attractive. That boy guard is a particularly appealing one. Did he proposition you?"

"Yes."

"What did he offer you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Being an incubus' donor is a job. Granted, a part time job but a job none the less. You don't do it for free." She says sternly.

"What like prostitution?" I feel a bit uncomfortable at the thought. She chuckles at me.

"Don't ever let a donor hear you say that. It's not the sex they're paying for. It's the vitality. Losing vitality to an incubi or succubi puts you out of service for anywhere from one to three days depending on how old you are. You're very young so I'd say just one day for you."

"I see. I heard about vitality potions. Can't they just drink those?"

"Oh, no."Luanne chuckles. "Vitality potions work by speeding up your own body's processing that replenishes it's vitality. Incubi and succubi don't have that, so it'd be useless. Even if it did work it's far too expensive. Only adventurers ike the Maller family could afford them on a regular basis. A basic working incubi or donor definitely couldn't afford it. It's easier and cheaper just to take the sick days."

"Wait, the Mallers are adventurers?"

"Oh, yes. The Mallers come from a long line of adventurers. Jacob and Douglas are the first to break tradition. Of course, adventuring isn't so popular anymore. We've moved away from a dungeon based economy, mostly because the dungeons have all been conquered. Oh, but those were the days." Luanne gives a fond smile and sigh and the memory. "We were talking about incubi, though. Yes, one day of feeling like you have the flu for you."

"You know." She continues. "Many women help pay their way through college as donors."

"How much do they get paid?"

"About two hundred and fifty dollars per donation.

"Nice." I lean back.

"That's an average. Someone on the level of Jake Maller's body guard can definitely afford more."

"So, do you think he was trying to take advantage of me?" I frown at the thought.

"Maybe. Maybe not. Were you in the outerlands at the time?" I nod. "Then he may not have known how you'd take being paid. Probably not well."

"Right." I nod. Luanna looks to the door, tilting her head.

"But I think this conversation should be continued later." She puts a finger to her lips just before I hear a knock on the door. The front door to be precise. That must be Saoirse and Lorelai.