Chapter 11 True Love

Alex drives the car this time and has a valet park it at the tower. I don't find the elevator any more delightful than the last time. Jake is, of course, waiting for us, an angry frustrated duck with more to say than he can say right now.

Doug just stands there looking guilty. Jake waddles over and head butts Doug in the leg, then rests his cheek against it.

"I'm sorry, Jake. I'll get a bodyguard, I promise." Jake just stays there for a minute then walks off.

"Is he mad?" Doug asks quietly. "Does he look mad to you?"

"I think he's just happy you're okay and wishes he could give you a proper hug." I venture a guess.

"Oh." Doug jogs after his brother who lets out an indignant noise when Doug scoops him up and hugs him. He stops resisting pretty quickly though. It's kind of cute actually and I wish I had my phone or anything else with a camera.

"Ms. Masters." Luane comes over to me. "I trust this time you'll actually rest and stay put?" She wheels me into the guest room.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Jenny." Alex walks into the room, book in hand. "I've had this examined. There are no curses on it or jokes, so it's safe to read." He hands it to me. I look down at it, Rare Curses and Common Cures. That's right the book from that disgustingly dirty cottage.

"Alex, what's a moonlight cottage?" I put the book on my lap.

"A wandering treasure trove. It has something you need but requires something from you in order to get it. For you, I guess it required a good cleaning, but accepted the gold due to your physical state. It was lucky you had it on you. It would have taken your life force instead and killed you. So never enter a moonlight cottage emptyhanded just in case." he warns me. I nod.

"How do I tell if it's a moonlight cottage?"

"It appears in the moonlight." he looks at me like I just said something stupid.

"Oh." I look down at the book.

"Than you." he says softly.

"For?"

"For caring more about Jake than your own well being. How else would you have gotten

this for your need?"

"Oh." I feel a little surprised. "I wasn't thinking of anything but finding water." I confess.

"I don't doubt it but it looks in here not in here." he points to my heart than my head."

"Speaing of here." I point to my heart. " Did you kiss me to sedate me?"

"Yes."

"You can take vitality with just a kiss?" I frown.

"Not very much. It happens throughout the whole process, climaxing at , well, the climax. It's very irritating starting and having to stop. I may have been a little cranky and gone a little hard on Doug for not having a bodyguard when we got back."

"Ah, so is that why you fondled my breast like that?"

"No, that was the EMT placing the sticker." he corrects me.

"Oh. Oh my god." I cover my face. "I made an absolute fool of myself, didn't I?"

"Yes." he answers without mercy. "But luckily for you Doug is at the stupid phase of love where he finds everything you do adorable."

"I think it's too early to call it love." I feel a bit uncomfortable. "Besides Doug is pretty adorable too."

"Thanks." I see a slightly embarrassed Doug at the bedroom door with some flowers. "How are you feeling?"