19

As your body made contact with the unforgiving ground, Namjoon stood in stunned disbelief, a tableau of shock frozen on his features. No one dared to advance, and the stark reality before them belied the dramatized portrayals often seen in cinema. Jungkook, the one who had inadvertently fired the shot, shared in the collective astonishment. It was a reflexive, protective action, an attempt to shield his esteemed brother from harm.

Amidst the chaos, a piercing cry rent the air, prompting Namjoon to crumple to the ground, hands pressed tightly against his ears. “I didn't mean to harm her.” He uttered, his bodyguards equally shaken by the unfolding events. Witnessing Namjoon's distress worsen, Jungkook sprang into action, directing the bodyguards to transport you to the nearest hospital.

“I'm the one responsible.” Jungkook admitted, enfolding Namjoon in a consolatory embrace. “She harbors no ill will towards you.” Overwhelmed with remorse, Namjoon lamented, “She despises me now. There's no chance for forgiveness.” Tears flowed freely as he collapsed against Jungkook's shoulder, his capacity for further anguish exhausted.

Seeking reassurance, Jungkook inquired of the doctor emerging from treating you about your condition. “The wound is severe,” the doctor disclosed, “requiring significant time to heal. It is imperative to minimize stress and further injury.”

Acknowledging the gravity of the situation, Jungkook postponed the original plan to transfer you to a superior medical facility. The risk of exacerbating Namjoon's self-reproach was too great to ignore. Despite his typically composed demeanor, Jungkook found himself rattled by your vehement accusations against Namjoon, a figure both revered and familial.

“I acted rashly.” He confessed, running a hand through his disheveled hair in remorse. Searching his pockets for solace, he retrieved a pack of cigarettes, succumbing to the urge to indulge. “Why the disdain for smokers?” he mused aloud, exhaling a plume of smoke. “It's my lungs at stake, after all.”

Grumbling to himself, Jungkook challenged societal norms regarding smoking, even within the confines of Namjoon's home. The former's desire for reprimand from Namjoon, however, elicited incredulous laughter. “To court his wrath is folly,” his companion cautioned. “Namjoon's edicts are immutable, regardless of personal rapport.” Indeed, Namjoon's decree against smoking indoors was absolute, underscoring the necessity of adhering to his rules, irrespective of familial ties or affiliation with the mafia boss.

Despite the tension pervading the atmosphere, a semblance of order reasserted itself as Jungkook resolved to navigate the aftermath with pragmatism and discretion. With your well-being in jeopardy and Namjoon's guilt consuming him, Jungkook assumed the mantle of responsibility, determined to mitigate the consequences of a situation born from misunderstanding and misfortune. In the shadow of uncertainty, Jungkook's resolve remained steadfast, a beacon of stability amidst the tumult of emotions and consequences.

“Are you thinking about Y/N?” she inquired, reaching for a cigarette from her pack. “I shot her, he took the blame, then collapsed from a breakdown. He swore revenge, yet he's hurting as much as he wishes to hurt her.” The woman anticipated the direction of their conversation.

“Let's forego the mundane chatter. Opportunities to flout rules are rare; might as well make the most of it.” Inhaling deeply, she offered a smile. No further complaints or discussions ensued, only a tranquil silence tinged with smoke and uncertainty. The room filled with the pungent aroma of cigarettes, a reminder of the perilous addiction it harbored, irrespective of one's vocation.

“Who granted you permission to smoke in my residence?” Namjoon's voice reverberated through the room, causing Jungkook and Rina to startle at his sudden presence. His eyes ablaze with fury, his nose still flushed from his earlier outburst. “I- Hyung, you need to rest,” Jungkook stammered, hastily discarding his cigarette in the ashtray and signaling for Rina to follow suit. He yearned to reprimand her recklessness but refrained from doing so.

Descending the stairs with forceful steps, Namjoon fixed his glare on them. “I don't recall granting anyone the privilege to smoke in my residence. Did I?” They shook their heads in unison. “Then who authorized you to act with impunity and smoke indoors?”

Rina contemplated blaming Jungkook but thought better of it; it wouldn't absolve her actions. “I apologize,” Jungkook muttered, bowing his head in shame. His apology extended beyond the act of smoking; it encompassed the entirety of the shooting incident. Namjoon waved his hand dismissively.

“Leave my sight and ensure this transgression is not repeated.” He refused to meet Jungkook's gaze, intensifying the latter's sense of shame. Jungkook yearned for Namjoon's reproach; the smoking had been inadvertent, but he secretly longed for retribution.

“Aren't you going to mete out punishment?” he implored desperately, raising his head. “No, simply ensure it doesn't recur.” Namjoon replied before turning his back and departing, leaving Jungkook feeling crestfallen.

“I fear we've lost him, Rina,” Jungkook lamented. The elder lady shared his sentiment. “Indeed, this isn't the Namjoon we know. Ordinarily, we would face severe consequences. How could he let this matter go without seeking retribution?” Both harbored skepticism.

“Summon the staff and have them sanitize the premises promptly. Ensure there are no lingering traces of the odor. And take this.” Jungkook instructed, tossing an expensive box to Rina before hastily ascending the stairs.

“Are you seriously willing to give this to me?” she inquired, her eyes gleaming with anticipation as she gazed at the expensive cigarette box. “What a stroke of luck.”

She had made numerous attempts to obtain one of Jungkook's limited edition cigarette packs, always met with refusal. Despite her repeated requests for the supplier's information, Jungkook had consistently denied her, fueling her suspicion that he may be smuggling them along with the weapons. While Namjoon was a serious businessman, he wouldn't mind Jungkook's cigarette packs nestled among his weapon trunks, which was another advantage for the younger man.

Namjoon stood at the doorstep, his expression unreadable as Jungkook observed him for the past five minutes. “Hyung, why won't you go inside?” Jungkook finally broke the silence, standing beside him. “I don't feel welcome.” Namjoon replied flatly. “What do you mean? If you don't, who else would?” Jungkook pressed for clarification. Namjoon's face remained impassive.

“She detests me after the incident. I highly doubt my presence is desired anywhere near her.” Watching you in this state pained him; he had noticed your efforts to save him, even if you denied them. Having been around you since childhood, he had taken note of your likes and dislikes.

Perhaps it was for his mission? That's what he had always convinced himself. He attributed your gestures, from your smiles to your caring attitude and desire to marry him, to his mission. Yet, all of them had never escaped the elder man's notice. He refused to acknowledge them as his own desires and instead labeled them as part of his mission. Since when did missions involve winning someone's heart? Why did he become angry and hurt Jimin during their football match? It was his jealousy. Yet, he rationalized it as a step towards wooing you and advancing his revenge.

“I am such a jealous, tormented freak, aren't I?” he mused sadly, his gaze fixed on your figure. His hand rested on the door, a pained expression etched on his face. “Yes, you are,” Jungkook replied honestly. It was no secret that Namjoon was a jealous man when it came to you. Despite his denials on a few occasions, claiming it was all for revenge, his admission was shocking. Perhaps this marked a new beginning for their relationship, whether it was rooted in revenge or genuine emotion.

Their conversation lingered in the air, heavy with unspoken emotions and unresolved tensions. Jungkook felt a pang of sympathy for Namjoon, recognizing the turmoil he must be experiencing. “Hyung, you're not alone in this,” he said softly, placing a reassuring hand on Namjoon's shoulder. “We'll find a way through this together.”

Namjoon glanced at Jungkook, gratitude flickering in his eyes. “Thank you, Jungkook!” He murmured, a hint of vulnerability creeping into his voice. Despite his outward demeanor of strength and control, Namjoon couldn't deny the comfort he found in Jungkook's presence.

As they stood together in silence, a sense of camaraderie and understanding enveloped them, bridging the gap between their complicated past and uncertain future. In that moment, they forged a bond that transcended their roles as allies in a dangerous world, becoming companions on a journey of redemption and self-discovery.