22

“She needs to get a full body checkup, and I mean pronto!” I exclaim, my concern for her well-being evident in my voice.

“This hospital isn’t exactly the epitome of medical excellence, and I fear that if we don’t get her to a better facility, her treatment will be delayed, and her condition might worsen.”

His stoic expression remains unchanged for a few seconds, and then he bursts out laughing, his deep chuckle filling the room. “Young lad, you’re always worried about my daughter, aren’t you? If I didn’t know you any better, I’d be offended – there’s a guy who’s deliberately trying to steal her away from me!” He teases, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

“But seriously, I appreciate your dedication to her well-being. You’ve been by her side since the moment she collapsed, and I can see the worry etched on your face.”

I breathe a sigh of relief, glad that he’s not taking my concern as an affront. “Don’t worry, Uncle, I just want what’s best for her. And if that means taking her to a better hospital, then so be it. I’ll do whatever it takes to ensure her recovery.”

He nods, his expression turning serious.

“I know you will, and I appreciate that. We’ll do whatever you need, and I’ll make sure to get her transferred to a top-notch hospital. For now, you should be the one taking some rest. I haven’t seen you breathe a sigh of relief since the second she fainted. How about you take a checkup as well, along with her? I’m sure it’ll leave my daughter relieved as well – her savior is healthy too.”

For goodness sake, can’t anyone see that we’re in the midst of a crisis here? The situation is dire, and yet, everyone seems to be stuck in a state of denial!

“Y/N, please, tell me you’re feeling something - anything! Do you feel pain anywhere? Are you able to breathe properly? Are your lungs functioning as they should be? We can’t just stand here and twiddle our thumbs, waiting for something to happen. We need to take action, and we need to do it now!”

The man standing opposite us raises his brows, his expression skeptical. “I’ve been meaning to ask, why are you so concerned about her lungs?”

She steps forward, standing protectively in front of me. “Dad, you’re aware I stress a lot during exams, right? Recently, I’ve been coughing quite a lot, so he’s worried. I’ll follow him along and get that checkup done. Better late than never, right?”

Her father nods, his expression softening. “Ah, yes, of course. We’ll get you checked out, dear. Don’t worry, we’ll get to the bottom of this.”

I nod, feeling a sense of relief wash over me. “Thank you, uncle. I just want to make sure she’s okay. She’s been through so much already.”

She excuses herself, rushing out of the room with a urgent gesture for me to follow. We hurry down the hallway, our footsteps echoing off the walls. When we reach the other end, she spins around, her eyes blazing with a fierce glare.

“Have you gone mad?” She demands, her voice low and stern.

“Do you even know what you were doing back there? You’d almost exposed yourself if it weren’t for me! Want to get your ass whacked?”

Her lecture continues, her words laced with worry and frustration. But I’m beyond reasoning, my emotions raw and exposed. I grab her neck, pulling her towards me, and her face is buried in my chest. Tears flow down my eyes as I hold her close, feeling a mix of relief and regret.

“I’m so glad you’re fine,” I whisper, my voice shaking. “You don’t know how restless I’ve been since you fainted. I’m sorry, I’ll never smoke again. Hell, I’ll never go against any of your advice again. Forgive me, please.” I hold her tight, feeling a sense of gratitude and love for this strong, fierce woman who’s always looking out for me.