Chapter 34

No one needed a ride back to the pack house, much to Julius's relief and annoyance because we "wasted so much time for nothing," even though he understood why we did it... I hoped.

"Finally," Julius said, breathing a sigh of relief when we started to make our way home, and I held back an eye roll while I scowled. "Do we have to stop anywhere else, or are we going to go straight home, TJ?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

"We are going to go straight home," I said and shrugged with a small grimace before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "Mel and I still have training, and then I still have work to do."

"And he has to ask Dad if Serenity is allowed to work for the family," Mel added. She flashed me a small wink, and my cheeks turned slightly red. "Isn't that right, TJ?"

"Yes," I said and nodded in confirmation. "I want to see if Dad will allow Serenity to work for us."

Julius frowned and looked at Melody before he looked at me, furrowing his brows. "Would that be safe?" he asked and cocked his head while he studied me. "I mean, there is a lot of information that she could get out of it like pack information, and we don't want that." He paused and cocked his head further while he pressed his lips into a thin line. "Do we?"

"We don't want her to know about any pack information," I said and shook my head, tapping my finger against the steering wheel, feeling very nervous. "However, it'll be safe if she works on the paperwork with me. We will have to black out some information or make sure that she can't read that stuff."

Julius furrowed his brows before he slowly nodded with a thoughtful look on his face. "Wouldn't she ask questions if the information was blacked out, though?" Julius asked, studying me while he furrowed his brows further. "I mean... she seems like she is a smart girl."

"Hey, all girls are smart," the youngest girl and sibling, Paige, said. She pouted and folded her arms across her chest, glaring at her older brother, and I bit back a small snort while I slowly nodded. "What do you mean by that, Julius?" she asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

"N-N-N-Nothing," Julius said with a small stutter in his voice, staring at her with wide eyes. He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, his cheeks turning red. "I didn't mean anything by it, Paige." He shook his head and stared at her with wide eyes, and I bit back a small snort, becoming amused.

"Ya, get him, Paigie," Mel teased. "You are closer to him than I am."

Paige grinned and narrowed her eyes. She didn't say a word and raised her hand a little to hit him, and I bit back another small snort and shook my head.

"Paige, don't," I warned and shook my head before I cleared my throat and pressed my lips into a thin line. I narrowed my eyes and scowled while I looked at them before I looked at the road again. "Be nice. Julius, you need to be nice as well. Is that understood?"

"Yes," they said in unison before they nodded in confirmation, and Paige lowered her hand before she could hit him. They didn't say another word and looked at each other before they looked at me.

I cleared my throat and tapped on my steering wheel some more. "So, what are you all going to do when we go home?" I asked, changing the subject. "Do you all have homework that you need to complete?"

"Yes," Julius grumbled, louder than the other murmurs and folded his arms across his chest. "Can you help me when you have the time, TJ?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question. "I have a stupid quiz tomorrow, too."

"Strange," Mel said. She furrowed her brows and cocked her head while she looked at him before she looked at me and then looked at me again. "It's the second day of school. Why do you have a quiz for tomorrow?"