Chapter 37

Aenes didn't relax like I thought he would when Mom stepped out from the trees but seemed to grow tenser. His whole body was on the defensive side, and I knew that he would do something to her if she tried something that he didn't like.

Juilus stirred a tad and narrowed his eyes while he scowled and pressed his lips into a thin line. "Wh-"

"Shhhhh," both me and Melody said, interrupting him without saying anything else about what was going on and why they were doing what they were doing. We stared at Aenes and our mother, who was confused but understood why he was doing this.

This could be our actual mother or someone doing a spell to look like her...

Either way, it wasn't safe for us to get out just yet, especially since no one else appeared from behind the bushes like we thought they would.

Aenes took a threatening step toward our mother with his magic glowing around his hands, and Mom raised her hands in surrender with her bottom lip quivering. He said something to her that we couldn't hear, and she instantly replied back in a way that he expected but still didn't relax all the way.

She looked toward the van, and a look of confusion and despair appeared on her face before she looked at Aenes and asked him something, her bottom lip quivering as if she was about to cry.

Mom set her jaw when Aenes said something cold and curt, and she rolled her eyes and responded with a sarcastic response that seemed to have Aenes relax a little as if he slowly believed that it was her and not someone else.

Aenes let his magic die down before he did what she told him to do and took something out of his pocket before he tossed it to her, and Mom swiftly caught it without taking her eyes off of him.

She rubbed it around her hands while she kept her gaze on him and then she showed him her hands.

Nothing... They were clear.

Aenes looked towards the trees before he looked at her again and asked something that we couldn't hear, and Mom nodded in confirmation before she gestured for whoever to come out from behind the trees.

Dad and a few other pack members stepped out of the trees, and they looked just as worried as our mother, especially since Aenes hadn't released the spell for us to be seen again.

Mom tossed the ball to Dad and said something to him while she kept looking at Aenes, and Dad did the same thing before he tossed it one by one to our pack members and then showed him their hands.

Nobody's hands turned black...

No one was under a spell or being controlled by someone else like Aenes feared, meaning that we were safe.

Finally, my mother raised an eyebrow in question and asked something snarky, and Aenss caught the ball from whoever and rubbed it around his hands with a small smirk.

He showed his hands to her before he moved his hands behind back to show us that his hands were not traced with black either, and I had a feeling that Mom asked him to do it.

Thank, Goddess...

Dad asked something to Aenes, and Aenes instantly nodded in confirmation before he took a step to the side and let the van be seen again.

Relief filled our mother's eyes when she saw all of us sitting in the van with our eyes trained on them. She placed a hand over her heart and knelt to the ground, and Dad instantly moved to her side, concerned.

"Is it safe for us to get out of the van, now?" Mel asked, her voice barely above a whisper, not really moving any muscle while he looked at our parents.

"I don't know," I replied honestly, my voice also above a whisper. "Aenes hasn't said or done anything yet that said that we couldn't or that we could."

Julius scoffed and rolled his eyes while he scowled and narrowed his eyes. "And we are listening to Aenes because..?"

"Because we are not idiots," Mel said in a duh tone, and I held back an eye roll and covered a snort with a cough. "We don't know if it is safe for us to step out or not."

"Or if they want you all to see what happened," I added, and Mel nodded in agreement.

"And what? You two get to see?" Julius asked. "Why?"

"Uh, because we are the oldest, duh," Mel sassed, "and because your brother is the Alpha."

"Alpha Chosen," I corrected while I gave her a pointed look, and she rolled her eyes and scowled, biting back a small snort. "I am the Alpha Chosen, Mel, not the Alpha."

"Same difference," Mel grumbled and rolled her eyes again while she folded her arms across her chest.

I opened my mouth to say something with sass as well but didn't when Aenes and a few of the warriors started to walk to the van with our mother and father staying put for some reason. "Start collecting your bags but be slow and careful while you do so," I said instead and unbuckled my seatbelt. "Do what they tell you to do. Is that understood?"

There were a few murmurs of agreement and did what I told them to do with Mel handing me my bag from the back.

As soon as Aenes was by the car, we were all in our seats and waiting for him with our bags in our laps and seat belts unbuckled.

Aenes gestured for me to roll down the window, and I did what I was told to do. His face was grave, and he looked troubled about something, but he didn't say a word about it, especially since we had little kids in the car.

I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "Are we talking later?" I asked, breaking the tense silence first, and Aenes nodded in confirmation. "Are my siblings safe?"

"They are," he replied with another nod. "We're here to get everyone out of the van. We'll be picking up everyone and taking them over to your parents besides you and Mel. No one is to look at the van. Is that understood?" He looked at Julius when he said that as if he knew that Julius would try.

Julius scoffed and rolled his eyes while he folded his arms across his chest and scowled. "Fine," he grumbled. "I will not look."

"Hmph." He smirked, and I had a feeling that he didn't believe him. "If I catch you peeking at what happened then, I will temporarily blind you, Julius. Is that understood?"

"And I will allow him to do that," I added when Julius groaned and opened his mouth to complain. I scowled and narrowed my eyes while I stared at him, and Julius closed his mouth with pursed lips. "Do not start, Julius."

Julius bit back an annoyed sigh and slowly nodded, relenting. "Ok," he said and pouted. "I won't look. Please, don't temporarily blind me, Aenes."

Aenes bit back a small smile and bowed his head a little. "Then I won't," he promised before he looked at me. "Now, go ahead and turn off the car and open it. I will get the youngest out first before we get you and Melody out of the car. Ok?"

I nodded before I did what I was told to do and turned off the car, grateful that it didn't explode like I thought it would.

Thank you, my Goddess, for protecting me and my family until we are safe in our packs' arms again...