Chapter 12

I shifted on my feet while I anxiously waited for my mate to appear. My back was against the worn tree that held so many memories, but I wasn't interested in that. I was more interested in watching the path, hoping to see her bronze hair as she walked towards the tree that would become our meeting place.

"I can't believe that you told her we would meet her at seven," Melody grumbled. "Or did you set up a specific time?" She raised an eyebrow and gave me an annoyed look.

"I did tell her seven or eight," I said, moving a hand through my hair. Again, I shifted on my feet, hoping that she would be here soon. "But, she said she'd be here by seven."

Melody groaned. "So, we could be having breakfast right now, but no, you want to sit on your ass and wait for your mate to come to you. Why don't you meet her there?"

I scowled at my younger sister. "Have I ever told you that you are a bitch when you are hungry?" I asked.

Melody shrugged her shoulders and smirked. "Yes," she replied. "You tell me that every time after practice." She glanced down the path before looking at me. "Why don't you go meet her on the trail?"

"Because I told her that I would meet her right here," I replied. I sighed and sat down, moving a hand through my hair. "She doesn't know, Mel, and I don't want to push her to remember."

"But, she was the one that sought you out, didn't she?" Melody asked, talking about what I told her after training. She moved to my side and crouched down. "A part of her remembers."

I chuckled bitterly. "That doesn't help me at all, Mel," I replied coldly. "She doesn't know that I am h-" I sighed and shook my head, cutting myself off. "You know, and she doesn't know that I had been her best friend."

"You miss her, don't you?" Melody asked. She sat down beside me and placed her head on my shoulder.

I sighed and placed my head on hers. "More than you know," I said, my voice cracking. I cleared my throat and licked my lips, debating on whether or not I should tell her what I was thinking, what I was feeling.

Out of all the siblings I had, Melody was the one I trusted the most to keep what I had to say a secret. She would never push me to say anything to anyone, especially when she knew that it wasn't dangerous to my health or others.

"At least, she is here, or a part of her is here," Melody said, softly. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "I mean, you can now watch over her, even if you can't claim her as your own, just yet."

I nodded my head and squeezed her hand. "I am going to need your help, Mel," I said, finally. "Can you get her to trust you?"

"Of course," Mel replied, smiling. She nodded, and I could tell that she was happy I needed her help to guide her through the world that we lived in. "I can try to get her to trust me. I don't know if I will be able to, but I can try."

"Ok," I said. I looked towards the path and stood when I noticed Serenity walking towards us and ignoring my sister's protest for standing up so fast. My heart pounded in my chest as she slowly walked, her blue eyes sparkling with tears.

Serenity picked up her pace when she noticed me and started to run. Her bottom lip quivered, and it took all of my self-control to walk calmly towards her.

I grunted when she barreled her way into my arms and hugged her tightly, not knowing why she was crying but knowing better than to ask until she was done crying. I ran my fingers through her soft hair, loving the lack of space between us.

"I'm a monster," she whispered hoarsely, and my whole body tensed because she sounded so frightened and in pain that I had to wonder what had happened to make her think that way. She tried to pull away from me but couldn't because I kept a "tight" grip on her. Her protests became weak again until she finally placed her arms around me and hugged me tightly. "I shouldn't be hugging you, TJ. I could kill you." Serenity's voice cracked, and it killed me more than anything.

I had to bite back a snort because I knew it would be impossible for her to kill me in the way she was suggesting. If only she knew that the only way she could kill me was by rejecting me. "I don't think you'll be able to kill me," I soothed. I pulled her away until I could stare into her blue eyes and wiped away the tears from her eyes, keeping my hands on her face. "Why do you think you are a monster?" I asked, hoping she would answer.

'I already contacted Mom,' Melody said, moving to my side. She didn't say a word to Serenity, but I could feel her concern for my mate because my mate would be her Luna once we took over the pack. 'She's watching closely and is nearby. She said for you to contact her if you need something.'

Subtly I nodded my head and kept my gaze on Serenity, grateful that she told Mom what had happened. I bit back a small smile when she placed her hands over mine, her touch soothing the beast side of me. "Serenity?" I asked when she didn't answer off the bat.

"I'm not human," Serenity replied finally. Her gaze was hard and unreadable, and I couldn't help but be curious as to what she was truly feeling. Her eyes were hard, and her heart pounded softly in her chest, not at the fast rate it had been beating on. "I'm a Werewolf."