Chapter 16

I didn't move from my spot, and I was shocked that she did that for a couple of minutes, and it left me breathless. I didn't respond when she pulled away, and I could see the look of pain that flashed through her eyes.

"Oh," she said. She cleared her throat and looked away from me before she took a couple of steps back, getting away from me. "I-I'm sorry," she said. She cleared her throat again and shifted on her feet. "I-I-"

"Mine," I growled out, interrupting her. I pulled her closer to me and placed my arms around her back. Asking silently, I leaned forward to put my lips back on hers but didn't because this was up to her and not me.

Serenity took a deep, shuddering breath and looked at me. Her blue eyes were wide and filled with hope. Slowly, she nodded her head and told me that I could put my lips on hers, and I did just that. Her sweet and addicting scent filled my nose while she answered my kiss.

She wrapped her arms around my neck and pushed harder on my lips with her own. Her grip was tight, and she was shaking for whatever reason. Warm tears fell from her eyes and onto my lips, so I did the only thing that I could think of and pulled away.

Pain filled my body when I caught the lost look in her eyes, and her bottom lip trembled while she gained her composure. "Shhhh," I said, pulling her to me and hugging her. "It's ok."

Serenity buried her head into my chest and tried to stifle the sobs that shook her body. Slowly, she shook her head while she sniffled. "No," she said, her voice cracking. "It's not all ok. Nothing is going to be ok."

My heart broke, and it took everything in my power not to break down with her because I had no idea if it would be ok or not. I rubbed her back and soothed her, waiting for her to finish crying before I said something else.

"Please don't say that it's going to be okay when it isn't," she whispered. "I can't take it." She buried her face further into my chest, and I held onto her tighter while she cried. "I can't take being lied to."

Defeat filled her voice, and my heart broke into smaller pieces at the sound of it. I didn't like how defeated she sounded, as if the world was slowly unraveling around her, and I had a feeling that it was.

I shook my head. "I am not," I said. Gently, I pulled her away and tucked my hand under her chin, and lifted it so that she could look at me. "Seren," I said, calling her by the nickname that I had given her so long ago. "I'm serious. It's going to be ok."

Serenity scoffed and rolled her eyes. She scowled and folded her arms around her chest while she pulled away from me, leaving me to miss her warmth. Annoyance filled her eyes, and I had a feeling it was because I didn't agree with her. "And how is it going to be ok? I'm going to have to have my memories of these past few hours erased for the sake of whatever. We're not going to be together, and you will be left with whatever this is."

"I will be left feeling hopeful," I replied. "Your memories will be erased, yes, but you still have whatever feelings you have had for me before you found out that we were Werewolves and that I was your mate."

Serenity's cheeks turned a pinkish red, and she looked away from me. "Um..." she trailed off before she cleared her throat. "W-w-who said that?" she asked, her voice becoming a little higher. "I-I know that I hadn't."

I raised an eyebrow, and a small smirk appeared on my face. "Oh, ya?" I teased. "Then why sneak into my room when they weren't supposed to?"

Her cheeks turned a darker shade of red, and she started to shift from side to side. Her arms were still folded across her chest, but that didn't stop her finger from hitting her arm. "Ummmmmm, well..." she trailed off and cleared her throat again.

"'Ummmmmmm, well..?'" I mocked teasingly.

"It wasn't me," she replied, looking at me with innocent blue eyes. "I mean, it couldn't have been me. I am an angel."

"You're the devil in disguise as an angel, Seren," I said, giving her a pointed look. "Trust me when I say that I already know this."

She arched an eyebrow, her cheeks still the color of tomatoes. "Oh ya?" she asked, and I nodded in confirmation. "How?"

"Let's see... there were a couple of pranks we had pulled when we were younger, and if I remember correctly, it was your fault. You were the one that decided to do them."

"Well, I don't remember this, so I think that your statement is false." She stuck out her tongue, closing her eyes while she did it.

Silently and quickly, I closed the distance between us and licked her tongue, something that we had done a lot of in the past.

Serenity's eyes flew open after I had licked her tongue, and her cheeks turned a brighter red. "Eeeeeeeeeewwweww," she said, and I couldn't help but bust out laughing because that was the same reaction I had received when I had done it before. My mate placed her hands on her hips, jutted out her hip, and scowled. "Did you just lick my tongue?"

"Yes," I replied between laughing. "I did lick your tongue. What are you going to do about it?" I raised an eyebrow while I studied her, amused.

Serenity's cheeks turned a shade darker, something that I didn't know could happen. She turned her head to look away from me and dug the tip of her toe into the ground while she placed her hands behind her back. "Ummmm, nothing?" she asked. "I-I mean, I can't run away like I had done; can I?"

I shook my head and grew serious and somber real quick. "Unfortunately, not," I said sadly. I sighed and moved a hand through my hair before I shook my head and cleared my throat. "Come on; we need to get going. They are going to be wondering where we are soon."

Serenity turned somber as well and nodded. "Ya, they will," she said. She cleared her throat and held out her hand for me to take. "So?" she asked while she raised an eyebrow. "Shall we continue?"

I offered her a small smile and took my hand in hers, her gentle touch filling me with such warmth and happiness that I couldn't describe.

"Let's."