Chapter 10

I walked slowly back to the packhouse, lost in thought. I had no idea what had happened or how it happened, and I prayed that I would be able to get some answers soon. I didn't even know if Aenes would be able to help because there was no mark.

I had been underneath some spell, but it wasn't from a Dark Witch. Or, could it be a Dark Witch but something more powerful than my mother has faced?

I jumped back when a rock was thrown at my face, pulling me from my thoughts. I looked around and scowled when I saw my mother near a tree with a couple of rocks in her hand. "Really?" I asked, and she nodded. "Why?"

"Because that is the best way to see if you were paying attention or not," she said. She moved away from the tree and walked over to me. "Are you ok?"

I scowled at her. I was not ok. I was confused, worried, hurt, but most importantly, scared. I was scared that there would be a chance when I was alone, and I wouldn't be able to say a word to my mate.

Mom studied me; her brown eyes filled with knowledge. She nodded before looking forward. She was silent as she looked around, waiting for me to say something.

I let out a deep breath and moved a hand through my hair. "Addama doesn't know if I was underneath a spell or not," I said, "underneath some Dark Magic."

She nodded. "I know," she said. "Addama told me."

"Do you know what happened?" I asked.

"I have a theory," she said slowly. "I want to talk to Aenes first before I tell you."

"Will you actually tell me?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her. "Or are you just saying that?"

Mom set her jaw and glanced at me. Her dark brown eyes were hard, and I looked down in apology. "If I say that I will tell you something, Thomas Junior, then I will tell you. It doesn't matter if I have to follow orders or not."

"Is that why you didn't rescue my mate?" I asked. "When you had the chance?"

Mom hesitated but nodded. "The Council didn't think that they were dangerous. I tried to tell them that it would be in the best interest if I take Serenity underneath my wing, but I had orders not to."

"You're the White Wolf. Why did you listen to them? I thought that you could make your own rules."

"All Wolves have to listen to the Council and the King," she replied. "Even me." She licked her lips and cleared her throat. "There had been some unrest with White Wolves before, which is why they are more... cautious with me..."

"Who?" I asked. "Who caused them to be more cautious with you?"

"Your great-great-great-grandmother," she replied. "I think there were a couple more that had caused them to be cautious, but it was your great-great-great-grandmother that sealed the deal."

"Really?" I asked, and she nodded. "Why?"

She shrugged. "I wish I knew," she replied, honestly. "I know that my great-great-grandmother had been... infatuated with a Dark Warlock. She had been driven to madness."

"But... we are pure wolves. Aren't we?"

"We are," she confirmed. "She had... an "affair" with her mate and had a little girl. She had given her daughter away so the Dark Warlock wouldn't know and... ya." She shrugged her shoulder. "That's a story for another time."

I hesitated but nodded my head. "Does... this group have anything to do with Serenity?" I asked, kind of fearing her answer.

Mom was silent as she looked around. Her whole body was slightly tense as did so, her eyes turning a lighter color. 'I think so,' she said through our link. 'I don't know, but I will find out.'

I nodded my head. I had a feeling that she knew more than she was leading on, but for once, I was going to let it slide. I just hoped that she would tell me whenever she could.

***

I moved a towel through my hair as I walked out of the bathroom. I was lost in thought, still thinking about the conversation that I had with my mother. I was curious about my great-great-great-grandmother. I wanted to know why she had fallen in love with a Dark Warlock and if she had been put under a spell.

I shook my head when I smelt my mate's scent and broke myself from my thoughts. I stared at my desk and saw my mate sitting in the desk chair. I opened my mouth and didn't say a word as I looked at her, not even knowing how she got into my room.

Serenity cleared her throat, her face turning slightly red. "Ummm..." she said, licking her lips and looking away from me. "I-I'm sorry," she said. "I... didn't realize that this was your room."

"How did you get here?" I asked, and she cleared her throat.

"I-I sneaked out," she said, licking her lips. She looked at me, making sure to keep her eyes on my face. "And... I saw this light that caused me to become curious and walked towards it... I found a ladder or something and climbed up towards the light and onto the balcony. The balcony doors were unlocked, and I opened the door and walked in."

"The balcony doors were unlocked?" I asked, furrowing my brows. I was confused. I knew that I had locked the doors, so I had no idea how they were unlocked.

Serenity nodded her head. "Ya," she said. She furrowed her brows. "Were they supposed to be locked?"

I nodded my head. "I know that I had locked them." I walked towards my balcony doors and tried to open them.

Sure enough, they were locked.

"They're locked," I informed her, jiggling the handles. "See?"

"Then, you must be weak," Serenity said, standing, and I scowled. She walked over to me, her heartbeat picking up. "Can you put a shirt on?" she asked. "And possibly some shorts?"

"Why?" I asked. "Don't like this look?" I tossed the towel into the hamper near the bathroom door and walked to my closet.

"I plead the fifth," she said, and I chuckled. She jiggled the balcony doors. "The fuck?" she asked. "I could have sworn that they were unlocked."

I pulled on some sweats and a band shirt of a band that my mother liked and walked out of my closet. "Maybe from the outside?" I asked, closing the closet door.

Serenity looked at me, scowling. "And how would that be possible? Please, answer me that."

"Magic," I said, doing jazz hands. "Maybe there was magic involved."

Serenity snorted and rolled her eyes. "Like magic is real," she said, watching as I take a seat at the desk. She furrowed her brows, her eyes filling with confusion. "Is there?"

I shrugged my shoulder, my heart breaking. I wished that I could tell her that there was, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to. "Maybe, maybe not," I said. "Who can tell in this fucked up world."