Chapter 7

Mr. Cage scowled and narrowed his eyes at my mother. Disgust filled them, and my mother growled a soft warning.

"What was that?" Serenity asked, furrowing her brows. "Did someone growl?"

Mom studied my mate with a curious expression on her face. She didn't say a word, and I could tell that it annoyed her.

"We are humans," Mrs. Cage said. Her voice went a little higher, and I could hear her heart start to beat. "We can't growl."

"It must have been the wind," Mom mused, and Melody covered a snort with a cough. She studied my mate before nodding her head and looking at Mr. and Mrs. Cage. "I am surprised that you actually made it. I thought you were going to bounce."

Mr. Cage scowled. "It is required for us to be here, is it not? You thought it would be a good way for the communities to hang out and form bonds."

"And, it has worked, has it not?" Uncle Garrett asked, raising his eyebrow. He scowled. "If you hadn't left th-"

"Garrett," Mom warned. She shot him an annoyed look, her eyes flashing.

"No, I want to hear what he has to say. Do continue," Mr. Cage said.

Uncle Garrett scowled and looked at Serenity. "I am Garrett, by the way." He held out his hand to her.

"Serenity," Serenity replied, hesitantly shaking his hand. "Did I use to call y-" She stopped talking when there was a squeal, and someone attacked me with a hug.

I laughed and hugged my cousin, taking a step back. "Rosie," I said. "I thought you weren't able to come today. I thought you were stuck in France."

Rosie hopped out of my arms and grinned at her father when he scowled at her. "I pulled some strings and was able to get away for the weekend. I wanted to surprise everyone, so that is why I didn't say anything when you called. Bryce knows."

"Of course he knows," my uncle scowled. He folded his arms across his chest. "And, why did you not call me, Rosalina?" he asked.

"Because it would ruin the surprise." She did jazz hands and made a face. "Surprise."

"I think that he is mad that you hugged TJ first and not him," Aunt Sylvia said. An amused smile was on her face, and I could tell that she would tease her mate about it.

"That is because I had seen him last month. It has been years since I had seen TJ." She waved her hand dismissively.

"It has not been years," I mocked, and she childishly stuck her tongue out at me. "Anyways, it is good to see you face to face and not through a video screen."

"I know I can do this." She went to touch my hair, and I ducked out of her way.

"Not the hair," I said, dodging Ceira when she started to try and get my hair, too. "What is up with you two wanting to touch it? Touch my dad's hair if you want to touch someone's hair."

Rosie hopped onto my back and started to mess up my hair. "Yours is always softer than his. It feels like a fluffy cloud."

Mr. Cage cleared his throat, and we looked at him. He was scowling, and I was sure it was because Rosie was still on my back.

"Mr. Cage, it is good to see you again," Rosie said, smiling at him. She had a way with people, but that didn't seem to work on Mr. Cage. "How are you today?" She cocked her head, still on my back.

"Are you going to get off?" I asked.

"No," Rosie said. She moved her hand through my hair and smiled at Serenity. "Hi, I'm Rosie. I am one of this idiot's cousin. You must be Serenity."

"I am," Serenity said. She was jealous, and I could tell that she wasn't a fan of Rosie. "How are you?"

"I am doing good," she said. "I'm happy to be home and hang out with my family, even if it is for the weekend."

"Where do you live?"

"Paris," she replied. "My m- boyfriend is from there. Unfortunately, he couldn't get away, so it is just me." She was longing for her mate; I could tell.

"Do you think you can handle being away from him for the weekend?" I asked, pinching her leg.

Rosie squeezed my side. "Ya, I am sure," she said, rolling her eyes. "It's him that will have a problem." She hopped off of me. "I am going to mingle," she announced before starting to walk away.

"Not so fast," Uncle Garrett scowled. "Are you forgetting something?"

Rosie rolled her eyes and gave her dad a kiss and a hug. "I love you," she said. She pecked her mother's cheek before starting to walk away.

"Come on," Melody said. She stuck her arm through my arm and grabbed Serenity's hand. "Let's go mingle too. You can see some of the others that will be in the same school as us." She started to pull us towards the group gathered around the bonfire.

"Ser-"

"Leave them alone, Damon," Mom said coldly. Her voice was soft, and I was sure that I was the only one that heard her. "It is her right to be able to act like a teenager. This is your doing. If you take her away again, I will kill you. I do not care if I am subjected to death or not."