18

A Different Beginning

II

Elemental Academy

3rd Month

"Iron Skin!"

Feeling his skin hardening, Issei immediately did the follow-up,

"Boost!"

"Boost!"

"Boost!"

The ten-second time gap was a pain in situations like this. He could go as far as 2 more 'Boosts' but his opponent had already started moving.

As Issei tried to move, he felt the changes. It was quite an odd feeling. It was as if he gained a few more kilos all of a sudden, and he could feel that his skin was less sensitive. Still, he did not forget his purpose, "Let's see if it works."

Issei blocked the incoming sword attack, not using the red gauntlet on his left hand, but with his bare right hand.

The look on Yuuto's face was priceless. But the genuine shock on his opponent's face quickly vanished as he quickly moved back.

"It worked!"

"Focus! You have only five minutes before the spell expires."

Issei blinked a few times to clear his mind. His vision zoomed in on his opponent.

Yuuto Kiba, his senior and fellow member of Rias's peerage, was a skilled swordsman. Well, many considered him a master swordsman, but Ddraig thought otherwise. And who was he to question a thousand-year-old Heavenly Dragon? Still, the fact remained that Yuuto was a beast with a sword. His speed and agility were also insane.

And then, there was his 'Sword Birth'. The sacred gear had the ability to create numerous demon swords each with its own attributes and properties. And from what Issei had seen so far, Yuuto was quite good at using it.

Needless to say, even with his 'Boosted Gear', Issei never won a single duel.

But that was going to change, starting today.

"Giant's Might!"

"Boost!"

"Boost!"

"Boost!"

Again, he was only able to go till three 'Boost' since he was still not used to dodging and focusing on his powerup at the same time.

Issei felt his muscles stretching... tightening. He felt a sudden burst of strength spreading throughout his body. But unlike before, he did not feel the strain or the pain. It seemed his plan was working.

"Alright! Let's go!" Issei clenched his fist, "Swift feet!"

"Boost!"

"Boost!"

"Boost!"

"Boost!"

Issei could feel the strain now, but it was still neglectable. But, his plan was working. The strain on his body was manageable, unlike before.

He planned that instead of forcedly increasing his overall attributes by using 'Boost' directly on himself, which he always did before, he would cast specific spells on himself and 'Boost' their effects. So, even though he would be casting low-level spells, he would transform them into a higher level by using 'Boost'.

Of course, even though they were powered-up magical spells, Issei's body still needed to be sturdy enough to handle all of it. So, he trained his body as much as he could.