22

Calm before the Storm

I

Elemental Academy

"Finally, it is here."

Issei patted his chest and looked around. From the perspective of an innocent bystander, it looked like they were having a festival. The classrooms, the halls, the stalls... the whole campus were decorated with vibrant colors; and conflicting designs. For example, some classrooms were decorated in a gothic fashion, then there were some that followed adult themes... he was definitely going to check those out. And then some were decorated by the students from the Heaven faction... they looked quite plain when compared with others. But the best part was that the students did not need to follow the dress code for these few days.

That was why, instead of a school festival, it looked more like they were hosting a Halloween party.

Even the adults dressed up to match the mood.

But he could see it, the tension amongst the students behind their joyous faces. And Issei knew he was not the smartest person meaning if he could sense it, then almost everyone could as well.

And today was just the opening day. He wondered how stressed everyone would be tomorrow when the actual tournament starts.

Issei sighed as he started walking aimlessly. He wanted to check out the adult theme stores but the Phenex bastard beat him to it, "I will go there once the dickhead leaves."

To be fair, the tournament could have been held today. In the morning, there was the opening ceremony where Khaoss introduced the judges and called out the names of the participants. It was a very short and on-point speech. He liked it.

But what came as a surprise, to everyone from what he saw, was that Menma and his group would not be participating in the tournament. Even today, they did not come. From what he had heard, other than the rubbish rumors, they were sent on a mission given to them by their principal himself.

Few were put off by the news, but he welcomed it. He liked Menma. After all, Issei got some valuable life lessons from him during his chat with him, something that Issei would not forget. But he also saw how fast Menma took down the Phenex Bastard. It took him seconds whereas it took ages for Issei and Rias. Of course, at that time, he was focused on something else... the sensual poses made by the copies of the ladies from Riser's peerage. What a fabulous technique it was.

"I wonder if he would teach me that technique."

Issei cleared his throat behind his hand to hide his perverted smile.

Still, when Rias explained to them later about the fight, he got goosebumps. Distraction, and then a strike or two to take down the opponent... like an actual assassin. Needless to say, Issei was not looking forward to fighting against him.

And now, he did not need to.

But Menma was not the only one on his list of 'I am fucked if I face them alone'. There was Sairaorg as well. Issei knew he was stronger than before. But he was not the only one who was training. He could tell Sairaorg was as well.

"Why can't we have a tournament where it is not focused only on the fighting?"

"Good point you have there, boy."

Issei screamed his lungs out, turned around with his 'Boosted Gear' out, and took a fighting pose. While he was proud of his reaction speed, he would never admit that he screamed like a girl just now.

"Did you just scream like..."

"No!"

Issei puffed his chest out and glared at the men who sneaked up on him. But when he realized who they were, he immediately straightened himself.