23

Calm before the Storm

II

Shanghai, China

"This is," The frustration in Azazel's reflection was quite evident to Jiraiya, "I did not think they are this dangerous."

Hearing that, Jiraiya leaned forward, "You are aware of Khaos Brigade," A small smile formed on his lips as he made that statement to Azazel through the communication mirror.

"Please~" Azazel's smile matched his, "My spy network is not as good as yours, true; but it is still better than the rest."

Jiraiya nodded his head in acknowledgment but otherwise remained silent.

It was a cue, and Azazel caught it. Releasing another sigh, Azazel started, "Khaos Brigade, also known as the Army of Disaster. I became aware of its existence through the Old Satan," Jiraiya just send a pointed look which made Azazel crack another smile, "While it may not look like it, I tried my best to keep a tab on the Old Satan. I personally know how tenacious and prideful they are. So, I know for sure, since they are not dead, they are planning something somewhere."

"To take back the Devil Faction."

"Obviously," Azazel snorted, "Their arrogance makes them quite predictable. Still, just because you know their end goal, does not mean there is a guarantee that you can stop them. Of course, it is also not easy to track them. They are arrogant, yes; but, they did survive two wars."

Jiraiya leaned back in his chair, "That is why they are more dangerous."

"Preciously!" Azazel smiled, "So when I learned that they joined a mysterious group, naturally, I tried to find out everything I can. It may look like this brigade is a misfit crowd full of strays, dangerous individuals," For a brief moment, Azazel's gaze flickered downward. Jiraiya knew why but did not mention it. A frustrated sigh later, "And traitors; but it is more than that. It has more than that. From wanted exorcists, runaway devils, and banished fallens... to old magicians, powerful humans, and even some long-forgotten deities. And try as I might, I just cannot connect the dots. Their origins, it is so diverse. So, what common goals do they share? And most importantly, who can keep a leash on them?"

Jiraiya released a tired breath, "No different than an international criminal organization." A pause later, he met Azazel's gaze, "You have an idea who the supposed 'leader' is."

It was a statement, not a question; which made Azazel chuckle, "I believe we have the same idea. Someone from the top ten is involved in this mess," Azazel paused as a mischievous look slowly formed on his face, "You know, a few years back, I actually thought that the youkai king was the ringleader."

Jiraiya felt his eyebrows hitting his hairline. As the initial shock disappeared, Jiraiya smiled, "Honestly, it makes sense. I would have thought the same."

For a moment, no one said anything. Then, Azazel sent him a questioning look, "You are not going to ask why I do not think so now?"

Jiraiya just gave him a knowing smile.

"Who am I kidding?" Azazel shook his head, "Well, with him out of the picture, there are only Indra and the Greek. And my bet is on the Greek."

"True, the King of Svarga and Devas does not have any valid reasons to lead or collaborate with the brigade. The Greeks, on the other hand, have plenty of reasons," Jiraiya could not help but frown, "They are becoming a real nuisance as of late," Then, once again, he looked at Azazel challengingly, "But they are not the leader."

Azazel opened his mouth, and a moment later, he closed it. Even though Azazel was not showing any outer emotions and held his gaze, Jiraiya knew the governor of the fallen was in a dilemma. So, he kept his silence to give him time.