CHAPTER 20: Plagued Thoughts

WOOYOUNG
•••

I found myself sitting in a restaurant with a person who I couldn't believe was in front of me: San.

Not only did he offer to pay for just a simple meal, one where I knew I could manage to eat with some ease due to the uncertainty of my stomach, but he took me to a restaurant that seemed to hold a more larger meaning than he seemed to let on. It didn't help that the owners took assumption of the two of us being in a relationship, but the fact that despite the multiple attempts of trying to push the thought of us out of my mind, I couldn't quite help but wonder if he had brought another person here as well, one who could have been more than just an endearing friend.

Whatever the answer is, it's none of my business...

I had more pressing matters at hand to figure out, the main one being securing a job. All of my attempts of submitting applications for work were futile, as the only one to respond other than the diner was the retail store. Therefore, the interview tomorrow was literally my last resort to secure a part-time job. Otherwise, my schooling could become jeopardized.

"Woo...I have to leave in about 15 minutes." San said quietly, waking me from my thoughts.

Glancing at him for a moment, I gazed down at my empty bowl of ramen and noticed that my dumplings had been untouched. With a soft sigh, I nodded with a smile. "Let me take these to go and then you can drop me back off to the dorms, okay?"

He nodded with a grin before signaling for Suki to come back over to table. "Can we get a box to-go please?"

"Sure, and uh, don't worry about the bill. It's on the house!" Suki grinned. "Let me get that box and you're all set."

With a playful eyebrow raise, I looked at San with a smirk. "Well, looks like your connections scored us a free meal."

"This doesn't count as a meal then. I made a promise to pay for a meal with you, and I intend to keep that promise." San said sternly.

A blush grew on my cheeks before I brushed it off. "Of course, just another excuse to take care of me..."

That elicited a smirk in response from him as he leaned back into the booth chair and crossed his arms. "If that's what you want to call it, then sure."

Before I could respond, Suki came back over quickly and handed me the box. "Here you go! By the way, um..."

The look on her face cause a sense of uneasiness to come over me. "...Is everything alright?"