Chapter 11: I pull a Humpty Dumpty

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

The next morning was the same as any other. Wake up, eat, run a simple mission, log it in my mission book, and send it to John. Then I sit around for the rest of the day and do nothing or train. But today was different. This morning I had a meeting with Dick and Kaldur. The two leaders of the team. I was for sure getting kicked off the team.

We met in a room I hadn't been in before. The grotto. Gar told me that's where holographic images of fallen heroes are put. So far there's only 3. Jason Todd, the second Robin, Ted Kord, the first Blue Beetle, and Tula, a girl from Atlantis. I walked down the stairs and saw the large holographic images. I saw Dick and Kaldur standing under a girl's, who I assume must be Tula.

"Hey." I said as I approached them. Dick turned first and offered me a smile, while Kaldur continued to stare at Tula for a bit longer before turning to me. "Did... I, uh, do something wrong?" I immediately asked. "No, why do you ask?" Kaldur said, a small smile appearing on his face. I breathed a sigh of relief. "I mean I just thought I'm new to the team, and I didn't know if I was meeting any expectations..." I said as I trailed off.

"No, you're doing really well Chloe. And it was a massive accomplishment for someone to defeat Devastation that easily. I don't think I ever congratulated you on that." Dick said as he put a hand on my shoulder. I smiled. "So then why am I here?" I asked. Kaldur and Dick glanced at each other. "We have a plan," Dick began to explain, "And we need your help." Kaldur finished. I nodded. "By any chance, have you heard of the light?" Dick asked.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

As I was walking back from the Grotto, a dizzy spell hit me. I leaned back against the wall in order to stabilize myself. All of a sudden, a person was in front of me. My vision cleared, and I recognized them as Wally. "Earth to Clo? Chloe? Are you okay?" He asked as he waved a hand in front of my face. I stood up straighter, leaving my position on the wall.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm okay. Just... really dizzy." I said as I rubbed my forehead. 'Okay but um, what's wrong with your hand?" He asked as he pointed to my hand. I looked down at it, and my stomach dropped to my feet. Small gold cracks had spread through the fingertips, slowly running down my fingers. It was like I was an egg, slowly being cracked. "What is that?" Wally says as he goes to touch my hand, but I slap his hand away.

"Ow! What the heck? It's always you and Arty!" He says as he holds his hand. "Wally, you can't tell anyone about this." I said sternly. "Why not? You're literally pulling a Humpty Dumpty, you're cracking." He said, pointing to my hand. "Because you can't! Wally, if you do, I will end you before I die." I said as I pointed a finger in his face. "End me before you die-what are you talking about?! Chloe, what's happening with your hand?" He asked, returning a finger to my face.

I sighed and ran a hand down my face. "On my planet, this is called corruption. If not treated properly, it will continue to spread through me, until I quite literally crack into ten million pieces." I said as his eyes widened. "So... you're gonna die? How do you know this?" He asked quietly. "When I was exploring my memories, I learned about it. It's... what my mom died of." I said, even quieter.

"Clo, I'm so sorry. What can I do?" He said as he wrapped me in a hug. "Nothing for right now. As long as I don't use my powers for a while, I should be fine. But you can't tell anyone!" I hissed in his face, and he quickly nodded. "Promise me, Wally." I said. "I promise." He replied, a small smile spreading across his face, which I returned.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Later that day, I was sitting on one of the lounge couches, watching the 'Fast & Furious' movie series with Mal, Karen, Gar, Cassie, and Robin number 3. Mal had claimed this movie series was the best thing you'll ever watch, and he wasn't wrong, Paul Walker was pretty cute. I had immediately put on a sweater that covered my fingers after I realized I was corrupting, and I was avoiding using my powers at all costs.

"Clo, aren't you hot?" Karen asked. It was pretty hard convincing everyone that I was cold, since it was 86 degrees out today. "Nah, I'm freezing my ass off over here." I quickly replied, to which everyone rolled their eyes. I was actually sweating to death, which I was sure was pretty visible. "Man, isn't it just freezing today?" Wally said as he walked in with Artemis, and I immediately noticed that he was wearing a gray sweater.

I smiled at his attempt to match with me, as I could see that he was also sweating to death in this thick sweater. This was best friend goals, people, take notes."Wally, it's 86 out, are you okay?" Artemis asked as she looked at him, concern filling her face. "No, I think it's pretty cold too. Like, isn't anyone else freezing?" I asked as I turned to look at Artemis, who gave me a strange look.

"Guys, we can clearly see your sweating. Clo, you're also sitting directly in the sun. Just take off the sweaters, it's getting ridiculous." Cassie remarked. "You know what I think is ridiculous? How come we get to know who Dick is, but we don't know who Robin number 3 is! I mean, don't you think he's hot in his big sunglasses." Wally quickly spat out, and I nodded in agreement.

"To be fair, I did have the option to tell you guys, but I chose not to." Robin number 3 replied. "Why, because you don't trust us?" He pressed, but I could see Robin number 3 rolling his eyes under his sunglasses. "Wally, cut it out." Artemis said as she nudged him in the ribs, and came to sit down next to me. I turned and mouthed and 'thank you' to Wally, who flashed me a thumbs up.

A few hours later, the rest of the team had come back from wherever they were, and we're watching the most recent Fast & Furious movie. I was sitting in between Jaime and Artemis. After the movie ended (I cried by the way when I realized that Paul had actually died), a silence was left in the room.

"Anyone got any good stories?" Wally finally said. "Hey, Clo, you never told us about what happened in your memories." Gar exclaimed, as all heads in the room turned to me. "Garfield." M'gann said quietly as she nudged him in the arm. "No, no, it's fine, I guess I never did tell you guys." I said as I leaned forward. Jaime gave me a quick reassuring glance, and I took a deep breath and began.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

A silence filled the room once I was done. The only part I left out was the part about Green Lantern being captured, which I was saving to tell John at the right moment. Nobody said anything for at least a good five minutes, which concerned me. "Uh, any questions?" I finally said. "Chloe, I am so sorry." M'gann said as she ran over and wrapped me into a hug.

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked as Artemis and the rest of the girls joined the hug. "Your life... it was just so..." Karen began. "Terrible. Ow!" Wally finished as Artemis nudged him in the rib cage. I laughed. "Dude, why are you laughing?" Gar said, his voice filled with general concern. "Because it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure that my dad and sister think I'm dead anyway, and even if they do come to Earth, we're pretty prepared!" I said as I leaned back into the couch.

"I still don't think that's laugh worthy, but whatever." Wally said, and I rolled my eyes. "Trust me, I don't think any aliens will be invading any time soon. Now, it's only 7 P.M. What movie are we watching next?" I asked. Wally picked a movie called 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone', and we all relaxed and watched.

Sorry that these past few chapter have been fillers, but it's about to get interesting, don't forget to comment and vote!