Chapter 37: Assessments, again!

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

"So explain this to me one more time." I say as I lay in a bed in the infirmary of the Watchtower. I had stitches on my forehead, and both of my arms were bandaged. "You're saying that after my sister tried to stab me with a knife, I started glowing yellow, spoke in a weird possessed voice, then passed out?" I recalled the event that Gar, Bart, and Jaime told me about. "Yeah, that sounds about right." Gar replies. "Bullcrap." I say, and they all groan. "It really happened!" Bart exclaimed. "Do I look like the type of person to glow yellow and be possessed? No!" I exclaim as I gesture to myself. "I don't know what type of fantasy stuff you guys saw, but you must've taken a few hits to the head, because I don't remember any of that." I said as I crossed my arms.

"Well it is true." I hear John's voice, and I see him leaning against the doorway. I groan and place my hands over my face. "Why are you upset?" Bart asks. "Because I'm possessed by some type of creepy yellow thing! That's pretty weird to me!" I exclaim. "Not to mention that my family of psychopaths is here to conquer and destroy Earth! Also, they want to kill me!" I said as I threw my hands up in the air. Everyone exchanges glances. They aren't proving me wrong this time. I sigh and jump out of bed. "Where are you going?" Gar asks as I walk past John. "I need air." I snapped. "We're in space!" Bart yelled after me, but I didn't reply.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

I make my way to the atrium and sit down next to a tree. A few minutes later, I hear someone sitting down next to me. "Hi." I mutter to Jaime as he wraps his arm around me, my face still buried in my knees. "You okay?" He asks as he kisses me on the forehead. "Y'know, I really thought that my family reunion would be a lot better." I said as I looked up at him. "Hey, it's ok. We'll find a way to figure this out." He said, and I gave him a small smile. "Sure. But in other news, John needs you." Jaime says. "I figured." I said as I lean my head against his shoulder. I look at the holographic images of all the dead heroes. "I want mine to be big. And by big I mean taller than Wally's." I said to Jaime as I pointed to the holographic memorials.

"Well you're not going to be up there anytime soon. But I'll take notes." Jaime says as he kisses me. I wrap my arms around his neck and he grabs me by the waist and dips me back. After a minute, I pull away for air. "That was hot." I mutter and he grins. I can feel my cheeks turning red. "I know." He says, and I roll my eyes. 'C'mon, John wants me." I said as I stood up. "Aw, c'mon! You can't pretend you didn't enjoy that!" He said as he got up after me. "Who said I was pretending?" I say as we get on board the elevator.

"We're gonna continue this later, right?" He said as he wrapped his arm around my waist. "I'm counting on it." I said, and he smiled. I took one last look at Wally's holograph, then the elevator doors shut.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

"This is the dumbest idea you've ever had. And I mean dumber than the time you sent me to space to see if I would pull my mask up fast enough! Also how is this going to, uh, drive out yellow?" I said to John as we stood in the training room. "Technically, they're not called yellow. They're called champions." John says. "They?" The whole team says in unison, and by whole team, I mean the whole team, including Virgil. And Batman, Black Canary, and Guy Gardner, because why not.

"Well, she/her, in your case." John says. "What is this 'champion'?" I ask. "The champion is a spiritual figure of the Helmans. Kinda like a god." John explained as my face twisted in confusion. "So I'm a god? What type of fantasy shit are you saying?!" I exclaimed. "Language!" Black Canary yelled at me. "Sorry. So what is the point of this exactly?" I ask John. "To talk.' John replies. "Well we're talking." I say. "Not with you." John says. Then he blasts a green beam from his ring, sending me back flying.