Chapter 14: My first birthday party

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

I woke up this morning with a smile on my face. Today was my birthday, and I was turning 16. I practically jumped out of bed and sprinted down to the lounge, where most of the team already was. "Good morning!" I exclaimed as I grabbed 3 Pop-Tarts out of the box Wally was eating from. "How can you be so cheerful at this ungodly hour?" Mal asked as I sat down at the table next to him.

"Because today is the day!" I squealed as I began to eat my Pop-Tarts. "And that day would be...?" M'gann asked. "My birthday!" I said, as everyone's eyes widened and Wally spat out his Pop-Tart. "It's your birthday?! Today?!" He exclaimed. I nodded. "What's the big deal? You guys took me shopping a few days ago! Plus on my planet, it's not a custom to celebrate them, I only learned you were supposed to when I learned about Earth history." I explained.

"So you're saying you've never had a birthday party?" Artemis said, and I nodded. "Technically, I would train harder that day to prove I'm worthy to have my Father's last name. But I don't know if that really counts..." I said as I trailed off. "So you've never celebrated your birthday? Gotten gifts? Invited your friends over? No?!" Cassie said as I shook my head 'no'. "Oh my God, this is crazy...." Karen said.

"Jaime doesn't know either?" Barbara asked, and I shook my head 'no'. On que, Jaime walked in the room. "Did you know that today was your girlfriend's birthday?!" Gar exclaimed as Jaime walked in. His eyes widened. "Today is your birthday?!" He asked and I nodded. I laughed. "Why are you guys making such a big deal out of this? It's just a birthday!" I said. "Chloe, you only get to celebrate this once a year! Plus, you're 16! In Germany, you can legally drink!" Wally said as he threw his arms up.

"Should I be concerned that you know that?" Artemis asked. "Not the point! Now go back to bed, and wake back up again, I can't believe you didn't tell us this!" Wally said as he pointed down the hallway. "No, you guys, I'm telling you, just drop it." I said as I continued to eat my Pop-Tarts. "At least let us make you pancakes or something!" M'gann said as she used her telekinesis to lift up some pancake mix, but I put it in a gold bubble and set it down.

"Chloe, please, let us take you shopping or something." Barbara said, but I shook my head 'no' and continued to eat. I scooted my chair back and threw my wrappers in the trash. "You guys can do nothing, thank you very much. I'm going to go train." I said as I walked out of the room. I quickly changed into some workout clothes and walked upstairs to the training room. I used every item the room had to offer, and I was probably in there for at least 2 hours.

"This is how you're spending your birthday, really?" I heard a voice say from behind as I was punching the punch bag. I turned to see Wally, leaning on the doorway. "What do you want?" I said as I went back to punching. "Y'know, we never repaired the holes from when you crashed into the ceiling." He said as he walked in. "Wally." I said, as I continued to punch the bag. "It was funny though, and I'm still glad Gar got it on video." He said as he crossed his arms and watched me punch. "Wally." I repeated, but he still didn't stop.

"That yellow bubble did never leave that bowl y'know. Have you tried recently?" He asked, and I lost it. "WALLY!" I exclaimed as I punched the bag so hard, it fell off the support beam. "What?" He said. "What do you want?" I asked again, but his eye quickly drifted down to my arm. "Clo, your arm." He said as he pointed to it. I looked down and saw the cracks had spread up to my forearm. "Yeah, I know." I mumbled as I picked up the punch bag.

"I thought you were taking a break from using your powers unless you were on missions. We haven't had a mission since last week." He said as he raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, but there was some stuff on the top shelf I needed to reach, then Gar needed help with training, and then Jaime wanted to train with me..." I said as I trailed off, realizing the list went on and on. "Ok, so maybe I've used them a bit." I said as Wally sighed. "Clo, I don't think I can go back to wearing sweaters again, it's June!" He said as he helped me

"I know, I know, I'll stop. But look!" I said and I placed my hand over my cracks. My hand began to glow, and the cracks faded away. "I can heal it!" I exclaimed as Wally picked up my arm and looked at it. "It comes back worse later, doesn't it?" He asked, looking unimpressed. "Yes, but it covers it up for at least five hours!" I said and he sighed again. "Clo, that's only going to make it worse." He said but I shook my head.

"Such nonsense. Now answer my question, why are you here?" I asked. "Well, the whole team is going down to the beach, and we wanted to know if you wanted to come." He said, and I finally noticed that he had his swim trunks on. "This isn't a party for me, isn't it?" I asked as I crossed my arms. "No, no, we would never. Now go get your bathing suit on. I'll meet you at the back entrance in 5 minutes." He said as he practically shoved me out of the training room.

I went to my room and changed into my blue bikini I had bought earlier, throwing some shorts on. I also grabbed a towel and a pair of sunglasses. I walked down and met Wally by the back entrance. He had sunscreen on his nose and a black pair of sunglasses. "You look dorky." I said, pointing to his sunscreen. "Yeah, yeah. C'mon, the rest of the team is already down there." He said as he opened the door. We took the stairs down, and I immediately noticed that no one was in sight.

 We took the stairs down, and I immediately noticed that no one was in sight

"Wait a minute, where is everyone?" I asked as I looked around. My question was answered a split second later. "SURPRISE!" The whole team yelled as they jumped out from their hiding places. I immediately threw up a shield, causing sand to fly in their faces, and knock them back. "Sorry, sorry!" I said, immediately beginning to apologize as I dropped the shield and they all got up. "Well, at least I know you're prepared for surprise attacks." Dick said as he stood up. I turned to Wally and slapped him on the shoulder. "I thought you said no parties!" I said as he rubbed his shoulder.

"Technically, this isn't a regular party, it's a surprise party." M'gann said as she helped Artemis up. "You had to let us do something for you." Jaime said as he put a hand on my shoulder, offering a smile. God, I loved that smile. I sighed as I gave in. "Fine." I said, and the whole team sighed in relief. "Let's get this party started!" Wally said as he ran to the water and dove in. We all swam for a good 2 hours before deciding to order pizza. As soon as it came, we all devoured it.

After that, it had to be at least 9:00 P.M., so we all sat around roasting marshmallows. I leaned my head on Jaime's shoulder as I turned my marshmallow around the fire. Earth food only got better day by day. "This is so good." Gar said as he shoved his fifth smore in his mouth. "I would be better if Kaldur was here though." Artemis said, also leaning her head on Wally's shoulder.

I looked up at Dick and we both exchanged glances. That's when I realized, today was the day.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Guys, thank you so much for 115 Reads! Love you all!