Chapter 41: Adios

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Jaime's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

I watched as the ships above exploded. "No." I said as my heart sank. "Dude, is Chloe...?" Bart asked, but I shook my head in disbelief. "No, she's not, she can't be." I muttered. I quickly activated my wings, and flew up. "Blue, wait!" Nightwing said, but I ignored him as I flew off. She couldn't be dead, I promised her. I flew past debris of ships as I flew up and up, but there was still no sight of her. "Well you look lost." I voiced behind me said quietly. I immediately turned and saw her. Chloe's hair fell loosely around her face as she flew in the sky, and her suit was stained with blue blood. So much blue blood. Then her eyes shut, and she immediately began to drop. I quickly reached out and grabbed her arm, and pulled her close to me.

"Scanning. Showing signs of blood loss, major stab wound in chest. Chloe Crimson is dying." Scarab said as I scanned Chloe. "No, no, no, no. Clo, mi amore, you have to stay with me." I said as I lightly shook her. "I'll try." She muttered, and I flew back down to the ground. Artemis was the first to see us, and she gasped and threw her hands over her face. I gently landed down on the ground, setting her against the wall, but still trying to stay close. John immediately rushed over to her. "Chloe, Chloe, kid, look at me." He said as he placed a hand on her cheek. "Hey John." She muttered, her eyes slowly looking at his face. "Chloe, please try and stay awake." He said as he held onto her hand. "John, I'm literally bleeding everywhere. I don't think I'm going to make it through this one." She said as a tear fell down her face. John bowed his head, not saying anything else, but I watched as a few tears escaped his eyes before he took a step back.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Well crap. This looks pretty bad. I looked down at myself, all the blood. "Chloe, Chloe, please I can't lose you too. I just lost Wally, I-I can't..." I turned to see Artemis, tears flowing freely down her face. "Hey, hey, hey, it's ok." I said as I slowly reached to grab her hands. "Please, please, please, you can't die too." She begged. "Don't worry, if I do die, I'll come back to haunt you." I said, and she gave me a weak smile. I looked up to see Dick and Kaldur, who both looked like they were going to cry. "If you guys let this team fall apart, I swear to God I'm never going to have peace in the afterlife." I said as I pointed at both of them. "We won't, promise." Dick says, Kaldur nodding in agreement. "Such a Dick Grayson thing to say." I said, and he gave me a weak smile.

I turned to see Tim and Cassie. Tim had an arm wrapped around Cassie as she cried. "You two better start dating, and if you don't, I'm going to have so much haunting to do." I said and they both smiled and nodded. I turned Babs. "Stay smart, carrot cake?" I said, calling her by the nickname we used. "Of course, blondie." She replied quietly, and Dick pulled her into a hug as she began to cry. I turned to Conner and M'gann. "I don't think I need to say anything. Please, get back together for me." I said as Conner nodded. M'gann's face was filled with tears. "I-I can't, Chloe, please." She said as she squatted down next to Artemis, and put her hand on top of mine. "Oh, M'gann. I would hug you, but most of my ribs are broken." I said and she gave me a very tiny smile.

I then turned to Bart and Gar. Oh God, those two were a mess. "Guys, your face is like a river right now." I said as I watched tears flow down both of their faces. "Chloe, please, you gotta stay with us." Gar said as he kneeled down next to Jaime. "Gar, I don't know. I mean look at my suit, it's kinda blue..." I said as I watched the blood flow down me. There was no stopping it at this point, I only had a few minutes left. "Clo, I can't lose you, you're my best friend." Bart said as he went down next to Gar. "Hey, it's okay. Like I said, I'll come back." I said, my voice growing softer, the pain growing more and more by the second. I offered them both a smile, which they returned, before letting more tears flow down their faces.

Then I turned to Jaime. Those soft brown eyes were just flowing with tears. "Hey, hey, it's okay." I said as I took it's hand. He shook his head. "No, it's not. I promised you, I promised that I would protect you." He said as more tears fell down his face. "Well, some promises are just meant to be broken, Jai." I said softly, but he shook his head. I squeezed his hand harder. "Jaime, look at me." I said and he slowly met my eyes. "I'm going to be okay, I promise, and so are you. I love you so, so much, okay? And you're not going to lose me. Besides, I already have enough haunting to do with these idiots, what's another one? You'll have all my attention anyway." I said, and he gave me the world's tiniest smile.

"I love you, Chloe Crimson." He said as he kissed me on the forehead. "I love you, too, Jaime Reyes." I said. Then my eyes drifted up to the sky. The sun was just perfectly setting as all the debris from the ships cleared. I watched as it went, down, and down, and down. Then there was nothing.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Jaime's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's eyes shut, and her head dropped onto my shoulder. "Chloe? Clo, get up." I said as tears flowed down my face. Down everyone's face. I pulled her close to me. She felt so cold. Her normal warm touch was gone. "No, no, no." I muttered over and over again. I brushed the golden curls out of her face. She looked so peaceful, like she was sleeping. But she was gone. Chloe Crimson was gone.