Chapter 34: I feel the mode

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

"When can we do something?" I ask through the telepathic link M'gann set up. "Now!" Dick says and I look at Wally, who grins. 'Let's do this." He says, and he zooms out of the cave. I run with Dick and Babs, and we prepare ourselves. What are we doing you might ask? We're infiltrating the Reach/Light secret mission to save Earth, as one does. "Hey there, Vandy! You miss me?" Wally says as I assess the situation. M'gann holding a sword to Vandal's neck, Kaldur and Artemis with fake blood on their suits, looks like a normal mission to me. "Well played. Well planned. But the light always has contingencies." Savage says.

On que, the cave entrances seal, and the rock above opens up. Dozens of League of Shadow agents drop in immediately. "I've had my fill of your interference. Do not expect to survive." Savage says in his best menacing villain voice. "Kill them all. Superboy may present a problem, but we'll deal with him when the other children lie bleeding on the ground." Savage says. "And I want her! Bring her to me alive." The Ambassador says as he points to me. "Thank you." I say as I flip my ponytail, and Wally rolls his eyes.

"Still you refer to us as children. No wonder our success is mound. You consistently underestimate us." Kaldur says. Just when he finishes, Jaime takes off his League of Shadow mask and outfit, and begins to blast down Reach and Shadow soldiers with his sonic cannon. La'gaan and Gar also reveal themselves, and the fight begins. I begin to blast and make things as I take down Shadow and Reach soldiers. "So how we doing?" I say as I kick a soldier coming up behind Artemis. "It's been awhile." She says as she punches another, and we end up back to back.

"I know! So should I call you Tigeress now?" I say as I blast beams at a few. "It has a nice ring." She says as we get back to fighting. I eventually end up next to Wally. "Look what I found! Souvenir!" I say as I hold up the red hat the gorilla was wearing. "Gorilla lice!" Wally yells, and I quickly drop the hat and he laughs. I then notice Jaime with the Reach. "Brb!" I yell as I fly over. "Round two?" I yell to Black Beetle as me and Jaime land. He turns to us and glares. "I think not." He says, and he pulls out the control remote. My eyes widened. "No!" I scream as I blast my beams and Jaime fires his sonic cannon, but they don't reach him in time. Then, my world goes dark.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Jaime's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe punches me in the face and I go flying. "No." I mutter as I stand back up. She stands there with an emotionless expression on her face. I broke the promise. Bart zooms up beside me. "No." He repeats. Black Beetle grabs the Reach scientist lady and presses a remote on the control. Chloe blasts a beam at us, and we both duck. When I get back up, Black Beetle, the Reach scientist, and Chloe are all gone. The only thing that was left was the smashed remote. "Did they...?" I hear Artemis' voice from behind me. "They did." Bart said. I pound my fist on the ground. I lost her.

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Chloe's POV

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Black Beetle angrily pounded his fist on the table as he watched the news. "The Green Lantern Corps will soon be on their way." Black says. "The Warworld has left orbit, I assume under the command of Savage." Scientist lady says. "Then the entire summit was nearly a ploy to remove me from my post guarding the key chamber. Fine, the meat can have their way. The Reach will leave this world." Black says as he stands up straighter. "But won't that leave behind evidence of our tampering with this planet in violation of our treaty with the Guardians of the Universe?" Scientist lady says.

Black Beetle grins. "No, not after we destroy the Earth." Black says. Then he turns to me. "Besides, we have all we need now. The Helmans can have whatever is left of this planet." He says as his smile gets bigger. I was definitely feeling the mode.