Chapter Six

Lane wasn't a happy little domestic homemaker like his mother back in his West Virginia hometown. He didn't live to  come home to the sleekly expensive and elegant condo he shared with his partner Charles, ready to cook him dinner, straighten the already pristine surfaces that Charles' daily housekeeper Consuela had already attacked in her too efficient style of cleaning , do his laundry which Consuela put her dainty foot down at doing.  She told them simply and plainly that she refused to touch any unrelated men's unmentionables. That was fine. But he did do all that. Lane was a man which he did stress a lot with Charles but he did love to cook for him. He enjoyed seeing the awe and surprise on Charles' face at the sight of whatever he had prepared him. Whether it was tacos in a soft shell.  Or really bland boxed casserole mix. He was no talented chef like Matt but it thrilled him to make Charles happy.

For some reason that went for doing his laundry that Consuela refused to do. He didn't like doing it but he enjoyed it. He liked touching what belonged to Charles and making sure it was exactly how he liked it.

Except that Sunday when he was home alone again. Charles said he was designing at his studio. He always had an excuse. Meeting a client, working, whatever. It was getting more and more. The excuses. Especially on weekends. Theo had assured Lane that Charles would never cheat on him but it sure felt like it.

It almost made sense, Lane thought as he deftly folded Charles' crisp white dress shirts. He had known it from the moment he had first laid eyes on the man. There was no way on earth someone like him would keep interest in someone like Lane Davis. Lane was average, boring, routine, poor as fuck. Just a small town teacher with small town ways and small town morals. Hell he dressed like a grandfather. He saw how people looked at the two of them when they went out. How the hell did you land him, their eyes laughed. A flat tire, he wanted to tell them but didn't.

His nose twitched as he picked up a very unfamiliar scent. What the hell? Bringing the shirt close to his nose he breathed it in quickly. Then he frowned. That too strong tangy smell. It was not Charles' cologne. Or Lane's for that matter.

( " How the hell did you land him ?" )