Chapter Twenty

" What the hell was my father doing at your damn house, Walton Fisher! ," came the sharply worded retort from the wrinkled beige pantsuited Captain Meg Rhodes as she stepped from her worn looking grey police sedan. She was avoiding any type of contact with the covered up body on the stretcher the medics were placing in the ambulance.

The covered up body of her father. That revelation had stunned both Theo and Matt when one of the uniformed cops had recognized Maynard.

Meg Rhodes' dark eyes met Theo's and he was nearly overwhelmed by the deep grief he saw there. Grief mixed with anger and confusion. And rage. He didn't like Rhodes but he recognized those emotions. He understood those emotions. For one moment he wanted to give her a hug. Although knowing her she'd probably arrest him after.

" I'm sorry, Captain Rhodes," Theo said. " I didn't know him but he seemed nice. I'm sorry for your loss. "

And he was. He was sorry the old man had died. He was really sorry the old man had died before Theo could demand more information on Micah. What did he mean Micah was still alive? Why had he wanted to meet with Theo ? If Micah was alive where was he?

" The mayor and I also would like to offer our deepest condolences," Matt said to the detective even as the woman pointed a shaky finger at Theo.

" Answer me! Why was he here! What did you do now! "

Theo was pretty much speechless. Matt wasn't though. " Hey ! He didn't do anything. He didn't even know your father. Your father called him and asked to meet with him. Again, Saint and I are sorry for your loss. "

Lieutenant Juan Ramirez in a tight purple suit came up behind her and touched her on the shoulder tenderly. " Megs , you're too close to all this here. Go back to your office. I got this. "

Meg wanted to say so much more as she glared at Theo still but she was also on the verge of tears. With her head held high and proud she said clearly," I need to call my family. My sister. Ramirez, take care of this here. Don't you let these two amateur nobodies screw this scene up. I want the bastard that killed my father. I want to know exactly why he was here. Here. Of all places. "

She stomped off, climbed into her car and took off with tires squealing bad.

Juan looked at them shrewdly. " Rhodes may be crazy but she has a point. What was Daddy Dearest doing here? "