Chapter Twenty Seven

When he returned home Theodore waited.

He waved off Reed's cousin Natalie to do her important film work and he waited.

He played house with his daughter and he waited.

He helped his son with homework and he waited.

He put the kids to bed and he waited.

He waited on the sofa.

He waited as he paced through the living room.

He waited as he kept checking his cell phone.

He waited until he heard the front door opening swiftly. He ran to the hallway where he saw the most important person in his life standing there. Looking very bruised and battered and pissed.

Theo ran over to Reed and pulled him close to him. " Reed. Sweetie. Are you ok ? "

Reed held his husband tightly and said brusquely," Oh I'm just dandy, darling. Considering that I have been kidnapped, beaten, insulted and threatened most of the night. And no I didn't see who it was. They were wearing a mask and they blindfolded me in the car. What the fuck is going on! "

" I don't know but I have my best man on it. "

" What? Your best what? Who? Matthew? "

" No. Not Matt. An old friend. An old friend who shall remain nameless. "

Reed Fisher pulled back from his beloved husband and looked down at him. He really didn't like the sound of that.

                 ------------

Captain Meg Rhodes really had not thought they would find anything in her father's old boxes. She had merely been wanting to humor her ever romantic minded baby sister by suggesting it. And she wanted - needed - to show up Theo as the fool he really was. Especially when they found nothing. Which they had. The look of supreme disappointment on Theo's bland little face had been quite satisfying to her but something odd had twisted in her insides as everyone had left her father's apartment and as her sister and brother in law went to their own bedroom. Some thing made her look a little harder in his closet and his bedroom.

Until she found it.

It was hidden deep away in the back of his closet tucked inside one of her mother's old leather pocket book purses. The purse was empty except for a small folder that contained black and white pictures of a sleeping White baby boy in a snug blue wool hat. And an aged yellowish birth certificate. And a small black journal.

The police captain settled on her father's bed as she read the journal. She read about a young husband and father who had been unable to keep a steady job until he had fallen into a business dreamed up by a friend and a friend's wife. A job where he got to travel and have adventures. Adventures like when he sneaked into a small Texas hospital one rainy night and took two baby boys. Micah Michael Walton and an abandoned baby they called Joey Doe. . Unfortunately Baby Joey died of natural causes that same night and her father buried him in the woods wearing Micah's hospital band around his frail wrist.

" Oh , daddy," Meg Rhodes sobbed , holding the book to her chest. " What did you do? "