Chapter Eleven

Washington DC
                      Present Day

Theo's phone call to his mother Cassandra (who was still living in Sweet Flower at their family home although she was currently in a long distance relationship of sort with DC police chief Max Danes ) had not went well. No that was a understatement. It had been a disaster on the level of the Titanic.

Cassandra had been stunned at first and very quiet for so long that he was afraid that the call had dropped on him but finally her cultured and educated voice responded back with " it was the past and the past should stay dead and buried".

Like his brother, he had asked her. He knew it was the wrong thing to say to his elderly mother but he hadn't cared  For the first time ever he didn't give a shit about her feelings. For some reason it felt like his heart was lost and broken. Like he was grieving something he hadn't known he even had. Although what was he grieving? This brother he hadn't even known he had ?  A brother he had shared a womb with? A possible ally during his hideous childhood days ? Or the fact that those he loved and trusted all his life had in effect lied to him ? Including his father.

Cassandra had tried to justify keeping it a secret that was locked tightly away for generations. It had been too painful for her and Malcolm to face  The people in town had witnessed their pain and anguish first hand and even in small gossiping Sweet Flower they had rallied around the family. Nobody in town ever spoke of it and eventually as the years passed by it faded from all memories. Except for those that counted. Theo hadn't wanted to hear it. He knew he was being unreasonable but he couldn't help it. For the first time ever he hung up on his mother. He also ignored her next call, letting it go to voicemail. And the next call. She ultimately sent him a text saying," Please do not tell your sister. She would never understand". Theo had laughed out loud over that one  That made two of them that couldn't understand it. His beeping phone pulled him out of his self imposed misery. He looked down while expecting more from his mother. The indomitable Cassandra Walton who kept secrets even into her golden years. What else was she keeping from him? From Grace ?

But it was Matt to his own relief.

Matt : Lucy , can you meet me at Kelly's for coffee? Saint is back and watching the kids. I need to talk.

Theo : Sounds good. Let me get dressed and I'll be there soon. I need to talk too.