Chapter Nineteen

Theo was waiting for this mysterious man named Maynard that evening. Matt was keeping him company or playing skinny bodyguard; Theo really wasn't sure which since Matt had just appeared by his side like magic and started telling him about his own Google search on MS.

Reed had taken the kids to a movie at Union Station and had been glad to see Matt with Theo. He was not all that sure about Matt's capability as efficient backup but he was better than nothing if this man turned out to be trouble.  Especially with the new hot pink 32 ( a Christmas gift from Saint ) that was tucked securely among the piles and piles of " essential" junk in Matt's tote bag. Matt himself was grateful for the distraction because the googling was starting to depress and scare him even more.

" This must be him ," Theo murmured as they both looked up to see a big battered old Cadillac creeping slowly down the street until it eased into a spot in front of Theo's house.

Theo's curiosity was joined by unease as he watched the short stocky  old Black man with the well cut white hair and greatly lined dark face step gingerly out the car.

" I don't think he's much of a threat," Matt said to Theo.

Theo was about to call out a greeting to the old man when to his and Matt's horror a speeding light blue Kia came barreling out of nowhere down the street until it crashed into the old man. The impact tossed him into the air like a helpless rag doll. The car kept going down the street. Matt pulled out his cell phone to dial 911 and neighbors were starting to open their own front doors. Theo ran over to the old man who had landed on his back. He was moaning.

" Sir , don't move," Theo said swiftly. He took the man's hand and squeezed it. " You're Maynard? I'm Theodore. The one you were coming to see. Help is coming. "

The old man groaned. " I.... I know who you.....are ...... Forget...... The help...... Ok.....just listen......"

" Don't talk , sir. Save your strength. My friend is on with 911. "

" Useless...... No help ...... Dying anyway. Lung cancer...... All over. Listen. "

The old man's eyes fluttered closed and his breathing seemed to slow gradually. Matt came over , looking very concerned. The other neighbors were all crowded on the street, talking excitedly.

" They're on the way," Matt said. " I would get Saint but he's resting. He was hurting bad earlier. "

" Micah," Maynard whispered softly. " Micah. He ..... He..... Didn't die......."

Theo swallowed hard. The old man couldn't be right. Could he ? Who is he anyway?

" Micah. Your brother. Is alive. "

Then , in the middle of the street, with Theo holding his hand and the sound of blaring sirens in the distance, the old man smiled peacefully and died.