Chapter Eighteen

( Texts )

Lane: Charles, at risk of sounding really really pitiful and pathetic i just need to know. Why? I thought we were doing so well. What did I do wrong?

Charles: You didn't do anything wrong. We were excellent together. In my esteemed opinion. You are the one who left me.

Lane : Because..... Because you cheated on me. That's why I left you.

Lane : Charles?

Lane : Charles?

Lane: I'm sorry if I disturbed you. I won't text you anymore.

Charles: If you actually thought something that assinine and ridiculous, that I would ever knowingly cheat on you then you have no trust in me. I'm not a relationship expert but I have been watching Theodore in his little slice of home baked paradise. It appears that trust is an essential ingredient to any successful relationship. Maybe you were right to leave.

Lane: Trust! You wouldn't tell me where you went when you were supposed to be working. You never answered your cell when you were out. You were invasive. What was i supposed to think, Charlie? Communication is important too. I loved you. Damn it. I love you.

Charles: I never cheated on you. I never wanted to. I wanted to marry you.

Lane: Then where did you go ? Why did I smell a strange man's cologne on your shirt?

Lane : Charles ?

Lane : Charles?

Charles: Where I go is very complicated.
I don't want it to interfere with us. I don't want to involve you in it. I still don't. For your best interest.

Lane: Let me decide what my best interest is.

Charles: I shall call you when I am back in the city. If you answer.

Charles: I still love you.

                 ----------

Lane: Juan , can we get a rain check on the coffee?

Juan: Oh shitty apples ! Amigo, are you taking the stuffed shirt old man back again?

Lane: No. Yes. I don't know.

Juan: Well when you do know give me a call. I'll rock your world and make you forget Stuffy's name.